jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I decided to go check out the local river bank as there was some Civil War activity on the river in my area and plus the weather was just too nice to not get out. On the river bank (Ohio River; Kentucky side) with detector in hand, I came across a very steep bank. Sticking out of the bank (the bank was about 10 feet high when looking at it due to erosion) was too many bottles to count; old bottles. Then I noticed very old and broken china and bricks. Now, I'm not real sure what happened at this site, but looking at the bank it looks as if an old city street has been bulldozed and covered up years ago. I'm thinking this was the site of a few old homes or stores. Here is some of my finds in a 15 minute hunt which was all I had time for.....

photo 1.JPG
(Everything I found today)

photo 2.JPG
(Old Mason Jar lid)

photo 3.jpg
(Piece of an old plate; MANY MORE was there)

photo 4.JPG
(FIRST ever silver find, FIRST Merc; Date 1918)

photo 5.JPG
(Reverse side of the Mercery Dime; Date 1918)

photo 1.JPG
(Silver spoon/fork handle; second EVER silver find)

photo 2.jpg
(Mystery item from same site)

It was definitely a good day detecting for me; the BEST I've ever had. If anyone has any idea what the MYSTERY item might be please let me know.....

Upvote 8

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver! You'll find plenty more, hope to see all of you finds. Happy hunting.

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver! You'll find plenty more, hope to see all of you finds. Happy hunting.
Thanks detroit, it was pretty cool. Hoping to find many more lol!!!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those mason jar lids are fun to find and the zinc rings really solid. That is a nice old mercury dime for a first silver coin.

The first silver coin I found while detecting was a 1942 Mercury and when I was really young I found a 1936 Mercury on top of the ground. That is actually my first silver find. This is probably why some of my favorite coins are Mercury dimes.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Sticking out of the bank (the bank was about 10 feet high when looking at it due to erosion) was too many bottles to count; old bottles.

Hey Jay,

Sounds like a most promising site. I'd wanna return with shovels & scratchers. Good luck there.

The milk glass fruit jar lid was made by Hazel Atlas Glass Co.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that merc has seen better days, but silver is silver..congrats to ya...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver finds! Nice saves! Definitely go back there you may want to sift the dirt sounds like you found a trash pit!

cnyjrb

Nov 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, Ace 250, propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those merc's Congrats on your first silver

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you've found a very promising site ! Some the bottles may be quite collectibles - happy hunting .

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need bottle pics! Grab some of those bottles! Whiskey bottles are good or any embossed bottles (raised lettering on them). Cobalt blue and amber bottles can have value as well.

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm definitely going to hit that place again and hit it hard. Going to try sifting the dirt to speed up the process, plus I've never done it and would like to give it a try. If you guys have any tips on sifting dirt or how to build a sifter, please feel free to share them. I'm always open to advice....

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I hunted a few foundations that were right next to a sloping hill down to a creek/river. The people who used to live there would throw their trash over the edge of the berm. So I found lots of glass, pottery, bricks, etc. on this slope since it was the old trash dump. Check around and see if you can locate any square foundation depressions nearby, I wouldn't be surprised if you found some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread