The "pounded out" park gives up more goodies on my first hunt there this year!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "pounded out" park gives up more goodies on my first hunt there this year!

This park has been getting hit HARD for YEARS. There are people there detecting probably half the times I go there in the summer, and many of them have been hitting the same park for 20+ years because it's the oldest in the city (1920s but was used prior). Last year I started hitting it hard and managed to find 2 mercs in 2 days, plus the occasional wheatie. Yesterday I went back for the first time this year, and for the first time with my AT Pro with the 5x8 coil, and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed at how it handled the extreme trashy areas compared to my beloved Spectrum XLT.

Anyway this time I decided to hit a side of the park that I never bothered to try because there are literally nails and bottle caps EVERYWHERE. The sound is almost nonstop with iron audio on but I decided to see what the AT Pro could do so I went through it low and slow and managed to pull out some goodies: 4 wheaties, my first indian head of the year, and my first merc of the year! I also found an old canadian penny. Today I went back and found another merc for my first good target, this one being a 1918-D!

There is a river down a steep valley that runs through the park, so I decided to slide down there and scope it out as a potential hunting spot once the water warms up. I stuck the coil in the water and immediately got a great signal and pulled out a shiny wheat penny from the muddy water. I can't wait until it warms up so I can climb in there and really search the thing. I'm guessing most of the people who pick that park clean have not hunted in the water so I'm anxious to see what I can find in there!

Anyway here are the finds:

Video

2014-04-05 13.59.09.jpg 2014-04-05 15.38.03.jpg 2014-04-05 17.55.21.jpg 2014-04-05 18.11.36.jpg 2014-04-05 18.11.57.jpg 2014-04-06 08.58.20.jpg 2014-04-06 08.58.27.jpg DSC_0026.jpg

Day 2

2014-04-06 15.08.01.jpg 2014-04-06 15.07.55.jpg 2014-04-06 14.57.34.jpg 2014-04-06 13.10.08.jpg 2014-04-06 12.12.26.jpg

Upvote 10

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went back and found another merc for my first good target, this one being a 1918-D!

Good job and good perseverance!

Ya know, whenever I turn up a merc in the dirt and it shows me a "D" first? I'm almost afraid to turn it over. the reverse is true also. If it shows me a 1916 first. LOL

WTG!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Great detail on the coins!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds! I love the U.S.C.CO shell, The 5x8 coil is awesome on the AT series. HH!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job ! You scored some good coins - beautiful park, I can see why everybody wants to hit that place .

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good video. That is a cool park. I wished I had a big old one like that to hunt at. Looked like a lot of newer growth pines, I would definitely be searching around depressions where trees once stood. Good luck!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally had time to sit and watch your whole video. You did a great job. I liked the whole thing, (except the snake).

I haven't got the small coil yet but I know of a few places where it would come in handy. :)

One small question though, about waterproofing your phone. Why would you want to take a chance on damaging something that necessary and expensive? I mean, aren't there cheap underwater cameras? A couple things you might want to think about is that a phone will tend to heat up and with the cold water around the outside, even if it can't get in, will cause some condensation on the inside. Won't take much to mess it up.

If you're like me, I tend to get a notion in my head and start experimenting, just to see if I can make it happen. Sometimes I do, sometimes, well, not so good, ya know? :)

In any case, excellent finds! Good video! Thanks for sharing.

slippy

Mar 28, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. I really enjoy watching the hunting videos too, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally had time to sit and watch your whole video. You did a great job. I liked the whole thing, (except the snake).

I haven't got the small coil yet but I know of a few places where it would come in handy. :)

One small question though, about waterproofing your phone. Why would you want to take a chance on damaging something that necessary and expensive? I mean, aren't there cheap underwater cameras? A couple things you might want to think about is that a phone will tend to heat up and with the cold water around the outside, even if it can't get in, will cause some condensation on the inside. Won't take much to mess it up.

If you're like me, I tend to get a notion in my head and start experimenting, just to see if I can make it happen. Sometimes I do, sometimes, well, not so good, ya know? :)

In any case, excellent finds! Good video! Thanks for sharing.

I did this mod on my old cell phone that barely functions anymore (the edge of the screen isn't touch sensitive anymore and the sound doesn't play). It's the perfect candidate for this kind of experiment. I figure I have nothing to lose with this one! Thanks for watching the video and commenting!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did this mod on my old cell phone that barely functions anymore (the edge of the screen isn't touch sensitive anymore and the sound doesn't play). It's the perfect candidate for this kind of experiment. I figure I have nothing to lose with this one! Thanks for watching the video and commenting!

Yep, just like me. Get an idea and just gotta try it out. That's what makes for small things, like Microsoft. LOL

Good job!

djnelson2292

Feb 20, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you clean your copper coins with?? I want mine to look like that.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you clean your copper coins with?? I want mine to look like that.

I use boiling peroxide and a toothbrush. I posted a video on my old youtube account a while back, but basically just boil a little peroxide in the microwave, drop a few copper coins in and shake them every 30 seconds or so for a minute or two, then scrub them off with a toothbrush. They come out looking dark but full detailed oftentimes!

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread