Key date V nickel :D

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
I was browsing some nice finds of TN the other day. I haven't posted any coins or metal finds due to the lack of interest of MD'ing any more. Found out I like rocks a lot more....
Anyways I stopped detecting a few years back, I have kept a few detectors.
One day while hiking looking for rocks I came across a camp, a bunch of old glass and a few tin things. I figured it being so remote and they were there for a few days, that it may be worth a chance to detect. I got some glass pieces and dated them 1886-1906 ish.

The next day I returned with my detector, i found 1 coin. The only coin I found there, an 1886 V nickel. I was pretty stoked, being my oldest one yet and a rare one at that. I also found this little indian pewter cufflink or button which had me wondering why would they wear this during that time when they were at war with the Apache??? Also found an old school fork, made for big meat.
I quit collecting coins, this has no sentimental value to me, so if any one needs a Key V nickel to fill a hole, send me a message. I am not attached to it, we can work something out.
Its well worn, the corrosion is minimal, it has been buried in the dry desert, preserving it pretty well.

gbf.jpg rge.jpg j.jpg fg.jpg 5.jpg re.jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg

Upvote 7

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pics compressed , pretty crummy....

Boy oh boy! Not only do people get lambasted for not posting a pic, they also get told they're crummy if they do post some! :dontknow:

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Boy oh boy! Not only do people get lambasted for not posting a pic, they also get told they're crummy if they do post some! :dontknow:

Sorry I was stating the photos uploaded crummy lol.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lucked out about a month ago and bought a small group of V nickels and it had one of the 1886s' in the group. I paid around $6.50 for 8 coins and didn't realize I had purchased a key date in the group. I came out to be less then a dollar for that coin.

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2 Radio Shack, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2 ES LTD, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Chong, i see that you are in my area if the coin has no sentimental value I would be more than glad to take it off your hands. I love the V nickel's and that is one that i do not have. I think I am up to 14 that i have found in New Mexico and i never get tired of finding them. I just love the history behind it. let me know, maybe we can work something out.

HH,
Texas Yankee

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find!

Top Member Reactions