Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a virgin?

I have been hard at it, knocking on doors, getting shot down. I have also been getting allot of yes's, only problem is the sites have been already hunted. I had an old house, hit the front yard and got some cars and I don't know how many clad dimes (I don't count clad, just check them and throw them in there respected drawers) next day I go back to that house and the guy tells me he talked to the wife and she informed him that husband before him had 25 years ago owned a detector and detected the living bejeasus at the house. ( I did not even find a wheatie there) I spent good two and a half hours there. The neighbor there came out so I bum rushed her and asked permission, she informed me that her friend was there last week and they detected it, sorry no, saving it for them. Today I hit a place down the st., not too old, maybe 1940's, little tiny yard, so I was able to hit it real good, last little area I find what I thought was a 1943 wheat, turned out to be a 1945 (bad eyes) (had me going, was exciting until I got home, ha, lol) I found that interesting religious metal too. Went and knocked on another door after lunch with my dog and guy says yes except he owns detector and has detected his property over and over and over. I took this as a challenge and second target in I find a 1952 D wheatie (guy says he has a whites) I finished up at neighbors house around the corner that last summer I found about six wheats, found one more wheat, 1950

After dinner I'm going out knocking on doors again, have to find that virgin yard that has not been touched, enjoy the pix, and thanks for looking.
Brad

Upvote 12

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virgin yards are hard to come by these days. Too many people detecting! Too many stupid shows!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck these days! Oh whoops I just read the title and didn't see the rest of your post :-)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah ive had many days like that; drive, knock, detect, get skunked.......drive knock, detect, get a single wheat, drive, knock, get told "no" or "someone did already", keep at it though, that untouched yard is out there just waiting!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will add this- even if someone tell me it's been hunted I will still give it a shot (like you). Who knows what they were using & their experience. Some of those "hunted" spots produce some great finds & a lot if trash has already been dug for you!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know what I've found? "Virgins" are unnecessary. As long as I have all those "hunted out" places to take my walks, I seem to do just fine.

Are you on a time schedule? I mean that you need to find a certain amount per week to pay bills? If not, I'd suggest that you slow down and get a little more fine on the places you do look. Don't stop looking for the "end of the rainbow" place, but, work at just enjoying what you do. For as long as you still can hunt. :)

Nice finds!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scored an 1830 house two days ago. Went with a friend today. Spent two hours with high hopes. He found a 1960 one cent. I found a junk ring. That was it. Bummer for sure.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drive by some crazy good looking old spots every day that are defiantly virgin but I can't build the nerve to stop and randomly ask permission. I have no choice soon because it's going to drive me slowly nuts till I do.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will add this- even if someone tell me it's been hunted I will still give it a shot (like you). Who knows what they were using & their experience. Some of those "hunted" spots produce some great finds & a lot if trash has already been dug for you!
That yard the guy has the whites, I'm going back with my smaller coil, the one area has a million targets

Ya know what I've found? "Virgins" are unnecessary. As long as I have all those "hunted out" places to take my walks, I seem to do just fine.

Are you on a time schedule? I mean that you need to find a certain amount per week to pay bills? If not, I'd suggest that you slow down and get a little more fine on the places you do look. Don't stop looking for the "end of the rainbow" place, but, work at just enjoying what you do. For as long as you still can hunt. :)

Nice finds!
I agree, but I think what happened was last spring the first place I came up with the idea of hunting turned out to be a virgin yard (it was also WMA) I pulled 12 silvers out of there. Being the second place I ever hunted threw me for a loop, these past 6 months have been a reality check for me. Especially here in south Jersey, I would love to know the number of metal detectors per square mile. I bet it's the highest in the country.

Last edited:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to one site (1780s house) 20+ times. Always convinced I've hunted it out, and I almost always end up finding something. Sometimes it pays to go back, walk real slow, and try sweeping at different angles. Also, if you're not gridding, you should. Pretend like you're mowing the lawn.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds! I just can't knock on strangers doors for spots to hunt. I usually find yards and property by word of mouth. I do see many older homes I would love to detect, but most are very picky about there grass and what valuables I may find.

Last edited:

Off n On

Mar 16, 2014
So. Cal. Orange County
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you have the courage to go ask strangers to hunt the houses! I only ask when I see a yard dug up n' being re sod, or a house torn down. You will find the Virgin yet!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to one site (1780s house) 20+ times. Always convinced I've hunted it out, and I almost always end up finding something. Sometimes it pays to go back, walk real slow, and try sweeping at different angles. Also, if you're not gridding, you should. Pretend like you're mowing the lawn.
I learned last spring to go back and to mow the lawn, I learned it from reading threads here on tnet. You were probally one of the people that taught me to slow down and keep looking.

That religious pendant makes it all worth it, is a nice one !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:
Thanks, I love interesting pieces like that pendant, isn't it cool it has a date range on it, must be the date of a place in Chicago Ill, and how did it end up in Southern NJ? I'm saving cars for my nephews 7 year old he love them!

Nice Finds! I just can't knock on strangers doors for spots to hunt. I usually find yards and property by word of mouth. I do see many older homes I would love to detect, but most are very picky about there grass and what valuables I may find.
I find the majority of the houses are interested in what I'm doing, and are nice fun people to meet.

At least you have the courage to go ask strangers to hunt the houses! I only ask when I see a yard dug up n' being re sod, or a house torn down. You will find the Virgin yet!
Some days I don't feel like asking unless I see someone out in the yard, I roll up on them and jump out and ask. I still think if I take the show on the road and get out of south Jersey, I'll find more virgin yards. Maybe I'm wrong just a strong feeling I get from all the people I have spoke with in the last year about that.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Great finds! Thanks for sharing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread