1883 dime

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I dug this today. Sadly it's not in very good condition:( is there anything I should know about it? My best guess is that it says 1883 and not 1888, but that's up for debate. Thanks!

image-4135157812.jpg

Front

image-3862609347.jpg

Back

image-471397144.jpg

What I think I have here.

Upvote 14

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, it is an 1883. Any seated coin is better than most modern ones in my opinion.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any coin before the 1900's is great in my book! Nice!

I'm kind of curious though, does anyone else think the dark spots like under the date are a tad strange? I only mention it because I have a counterfeit seated half and it looks similar. Kind of like a crumbling.

The picture is good enough, it's my eyes are pretty bad. :dontknow:

In any case, a really nice find!
WTG!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx

I'm kind of curious though, does anyone else think the dark spots like under the date are a tad strange? I only mention it because I have a counterfeit seated half and it looks similar. Kind of like a crumbling.

WTG!

That is an interesting observation - it seems white almost like old lead. Cool find either way but I'd be interested if it could be shined up at all.

Fyrguy86

Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab GPX5000, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweeeet dime! Keep looking there, I'm sure there will be more goodies!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WTG!

Since she said it was found in a horse pasture, the white powderish look might be from fertilizers used many years ago. I found a 64 Rosie that had the same condition in the edge of a cornfield last year. I thought it was very strange when I found it. I think it is just some type of chemical reaction.

mohawkman4081

May 5, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX or Whites Clasic Id
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool dime! Did you find it in a field?

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet seated, I like your name, very cool.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I also found neArby a standing Liberty. 1923 we determined I believe, date was missing. It's in the horse field behind my house . I been detecting it for 2 years! I only find the coins after a good rain. There had been some sort of building there, I determine from the pile of rocks. I have been trying for years to get permission to detect closer to tbe very old farmhouse that I'm sure the pile of rocks once belonged to.. It's way tucked back and every time I pull down tbe long drive my truck gets surrounded by pit bulls and nobody ever comes out! I tried getting out once... And I got politely but sternly told to not step one more foot closer to that front porch , by one of the Pitts .. Lol

Congrats on the seated dime! You can check with your county assessor's office to find out who owns the property with the dogs...then, once you have a name, finding a telephone number is fairly easy. Once you have the number, you stand a better chance of getting someone to come out of the house. Many assessors have a GIS website where you can use a map to zero-in on the property, then find out details about the property and the owner. From my experience, it's better to wait until you're in the driveway to make the call and request to chat...that way they put a face with the voice and it's not as easy for them to turn you down. Good luck!

PS, if you've never heard of/used a GIS website for the county you're hunting in, simply google "GIS +county name."

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Yes I thought it seemed odd for silver as well. It's so faded I'm afraid to do anything other than soap and water. There is a lot of ash and coal in the dirt where I found it.. Maybe that has something to do with it?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I thought it seemed odd for silver as well. It's so faded I'm afraid to do anything other than soap and water. There is a lot of ash and coal in the dirt where I found it.. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Well, time and the elements are bad enough without even considering the chemical interactions. :) The picture gives me a feel that the coin is beginning to crumble in places. But, with my eyes anything's possible. 8-)

Even if it is a counterfeit, those are MORE rare than the actual coin! LOL

WTG!

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I think the chances of a counterfeit dime being buried 6 inches down in the middle of a horse field is pretty remote .. Lol ..

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the chances of a counterfeit dime being buried 6 inches down in the middle of a horse field is pretty remote .. Lol ..

That's why I said it was rare. LOL But, think of it this way. Some ole pioneer just discovered the dime he got in payment for a week's provisions, is fake. He'd stand up in his stirrups and fling that thing as far as he could and go after the critter that gave it to him! LOL

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
That's why I said it was rare. LOL But, think of it this way. Some ole pioneer just discovered the dime he got in payment for a week's provisions, is fake. He'd stand up in his stirrups and fling that thing as far as he could and go after the critter that gave it to him! LOL
I used electrolysis for less than 2 minutes on it. The black came off and revealed shiny silver under it... However it took most the damn date with it .. Uuhhggggg.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first seated coin. Hope you get many more

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread