Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I had about 3 hours to kill today before having to attend to some chores, and decided to return to the site I took Joey to last Friday where he dug a really nice cut piece from a 1721 2 reale pistareen. I started out with a little gridding which turned out to be very unproductive, then opted to wander a bit with similar bad luck. Finally I decided to expand on the area where Joey found his coin, and my first target was a 90 degree wedge from another 2 reale. It was very deep, and if I hadn't swung the center of my coil directly over it I probably wouldn't have heard it. Good thing I was able to dig that silver as the rest of the hunt was extremely slow with only a couple of buttons and a few other tidbits to show for my efforts. But that was a lot easier to deal with since I had a silver in the "pock". This will be my last trip to this site until the fall when the peanut harvest should bring some deep targets closer to detectable range.

This brings my colonial silver total for the year to 17. Things started out very slow early in the season with only 3 from Oct though Jan. But with 3 in Feb, 7 in March and now 4 in April things have turned out very well, although no where near last year's 24. And my partners Dan and Joey have done very well too.

Attachments

• 041814a.JPG
    041814a.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 041814b.JPG
    041814b.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 041814c.JPG
    041814c.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 041814d.JPG
    041814d.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 041814e.JPG
    041814e.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 6

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You find colonial silver like most people find memorial pennies! Another productive hunt and more silver to pad your totals. What's the tally so far in the competition between you and Dan?

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, way to go

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You find colonial silver like most people find memorial pennies! Another product hunt and more silver to pad your totals. What's the tally so far in the competition between you and Dan?

In our friendly competition we can only count coins that are dug when we're hunting together. And with Dan's cob he dug a couple weeks ago he pulled ahead of me by one just after I had finally pulled even with him earlier in the day. We have a thing going with coppers too, and unfortunately I'm in 2nd place in that as well even though I've had what I consider a banner year for coppers. I've been putting my best effort forward, but he's still killing me!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver in the "pock"... lol.... Once again you're making us all green with envy Bill. :happysmiley: Keep up the good work. You're having a great season so far.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver in the "pock"... lol.... Once again you're making us all green with envy Bill. :happysmiley: Keep up the good work. You're having a great season so far.

Thanks man. Its been fun, but all good things must come to an end thanks to those evil farmers as Joey calls them.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alright, Bill! Silver in the Pock indeed. I may try to get permission for a site for next week. It is getting close to plant time and farmers may say No now. Who knows.

Kirk

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,
Congrats on your "cologne silv in the pock" totals. That's fantastic. :occasion14:
Any idea what your umbrella piece totals are for the year? :laughing7:

-Doug-

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, I wouldn't object to coming in second with the amount of cut silver you've gotten! Congrats to you again:coffee2:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ! Another cut Spanish ! You have had a great season ! 7 years for me this year and I have yet to find a cut silver !I have figured out one thing ! If you lived in Maine in the 16th or 17th century you were most likely dirt poor . yet you still must have been ready for warfare at all times and figure out how you were going to stockpile enough food to get through the long cold winter . !! Again ! very nice finds ! MaineRelic

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome ! Another cut Spanish ! You have had a great season ! 7 years for me this year and I have yet to find a cut silver !I have figured out one thing ! If you lived in Maine in the 16th or 17th century you were most likely dirt poor . yet you still must have been ready for warfare at all times and figure out how you were going to stockpile enough food to get through the long cold winter . !! Again ! very nice finds ! MaineRelic

Thanks MaineRelic. Believe me, there were a lot of poor early settlers around here as well. Most of the coins we seem to find tend to come in clusters at places that saw a lot of activity like taverns, inns, large plantations, and other places that dealt in commerce activities. Just in the last 2 years we've hit three sites that each produced double digit colonial silver coins, and 15-20 were recovered at 2 of those. We just keep going back and hunting it harder, and expand into new areas that many times will continue to produce. But there are a lot of small house sites that don't give up any coins. But buttons and buckles are found just about everywhere. Guess they didn't necessarily have money, but everyone had to have clothes.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Bill, that's a sweet looking piece of silver

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,
Congrats on your "cologne silv in the pock" totals. That's fantastic. :occasion14:
Any idea what your umbrella piece totals are for the year? :laughing7:

-Doug-

Thanks Doug. I've dug a few of those umbrella pieces, but have found a boatload of thimbles. I bet 15-20 of those have turned up this year, with multiples coming from several sites. At some point I'll have to get an accurate count and take a group pic. And thanks for reminding me about "cologne". How could I have left that out ..... haha.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET cut silver!

Cheers,