Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Yesterday I met a friend from here for the first time after we discovered that we hunt the same sites. He is Wyoming Valley Relics. We really hit it off and talked like 2 old women for hours, lol. We decided to do a hunt today and met up at a cornfield that gave me my very first musket ball. WVR ( he is a Dave also ) got there before me after looking the site over last night on some old maps. He met me with his first discovery - a nice Merc. We hunted around where an old school once stood and dug some iron targets, then decided to move out into the field where the silver had been. We both dug fairly modern buckles and I got a nice green wheat. On my next good target I dug a large crotal. I was pretty happy with it even though it had a chunk missing from probably a plow. I discovered later after cleaning it still had the clinker ( or whatever it is called ) packed inside with the mud. I dug a couple more wheats, the little gilded metal box and found the pretty pink glass bottleneck on top of the ground. Dave was VERY excited to dig his very first crotal, a small little one with patent date on it and once he cleaned it, he discovered a fragment of cloth or thread on it. We aren't sure how it was attached. Looking for help from you experts please! Dave dug an old ball that he thought was a buck and ball but I think is a pistol ball. He doesn't have scale or calipers yet so I will weigh and measure it for him soon and update this thread. After cleaning his bell, he discovered it still rings and sounds like Christmas!
yja6uvus.jpg

8aje2u7a.jpg

8a8edesa.jpg

9u2emuhy.jpg

a6yvedy5.jpg

ymedysav.jpg

nudutu4u.jpg

vagy6era.jpg

Thanks for looking. We enjoyed our first hunt together!

Last edited:
Upvote 14

lesche Is More

Mar 14, 2014
North Dartmouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Merc. The bottle neck is flint Glass it had a high level of magnese in the glass
that caused sunlight to turn it that color. They stopped making around 1900
looks like it was tooled top whisky or med

Ive yet to dig a crotal! cant wait

HH OldDude

-LIM-

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!! Nice Friday!!! Thanks for the pics!!

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
little bit of research.
Major George W. Tucker and possibly the American Ring Company

The oldest Tucker bells are marked with the single patent date of "PAT. OCT 24. [18]76" circling the base of each bell.

The base of the most common style of "patent" or "Tucker" bell is circled with two patent dates of "PAT. OCT 24. [18]76 & MAY 14. [18]78". A maker's mark of a diamond with a small dot in the center may also be present. Later Tucker bells are completely plain, but are otherwise identical in shape and design details to earlier versions.

These bells are found in single throat (slit), double throat, and triple throat versions, with many minor variations in size, shape and design. Nearly all Tucker bells are machine stamped from yellow brass sheet, although small numbers of the triple throat version were also stamped from sheet steel. The bells were probably produced by the American Ring Company of Waterbury, Connecticut, that was organized in October 1852.

"[The American Ring Co. produced] saddle, harness and carriage hardware, patent brass, silvered and iron rings, etc. Their factory, until destroyed by fire, January 5, 1872, was on Canal street [in Waterbury]. The Ring Co. is now [1894] under the control of the Plume & Atwood Manufacturing Co...." (15)

Tucker's two patents describe the manufacture of a double-throat bell stamped from thick sheet bass. Tucker was awarded 21 design patents between 1869 and 1882, including the two for his sleigh bells. (15) Tucker, a prominent, respected citizen of Waterbury and an officer of the American Ring Company, was dismissed in disgrace from the company in 1886 after being accused of embezzling a substantial sum of money.

Classic Bells: American Horse Bell Makers

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I omitted the pic of WVR's bell showing the thread......
2y3y9y4u.jpg

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an awesome hunt, those bells r awesome

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Guys! Glad to see the Amish are dropping a few relics up there in PA. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure those bells fell off of Santa's sleigh. Quindy told me he blasted him with a shotgun thinking he was a poacher, and you even found the shell casing as proof. The pink glass was from Dman's cologne bottle I believe. :tongue3:

Congrats and thanks for that super long video OD. :laughing7:

-DUHg-

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, that video is just like me~~short and sweet!:laughing7:

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Very cool finds guys. New friendships are also fantastic to find. Thanks for sharing and HH. -Chuck

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow you guys did well, that merc looks great! sweet vid. GL & HH!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for your replies and views. I had a great time in spite of losing my digger:BangHead:
I guess forgetfulness is a sign of being "an old dude":tongue3:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt guys,love the Merc and the color on that crotal Bueller is really nice.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds guys.
Davers

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New friends and a hunt you will always remember. That really was a long video. Perfect!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New friends and a hunt you will always remember. That really was a long video. Perfect!
lol, Tn. I have to agree with Mr Quindy on videos.....why waste people's time and the storage space with unnecessary content? We just wanted to share the sound of something recovered and old, and as you can tell by WVR's smile, he was deservedly proud and happy. Thank you, Sir!:coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread