SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturday's digs include a gorgeous VA button plus a very unusual first for me

After the rain finally abated around midday on Sat, Dan and I decided to take advantage and get in a half day hunt since the season is pretty much done around here due to fields being planted. We first went back to one of our diverse and very productive sites to see if any fields were still available. To our surprise, 2 small fields that were supposed to be planted were still huntable, so we spent some time roaming around trying to catch a few stray colonial relics. We managed a few buttons and other tidbits, with Dan recovering 2 nice military buttons that he recently posted. My best find here was a large piece from a decorative colonial shoe buckle. Things slowed down a bit so we decided to make the drive over to the new site I got into last week that produced some nice CW buttons, including a VA, and a half cent. I had marked a fairly large area that I had gridded last time so we wouldn't waste our time covering the same ground twice, and I started swinging just beyond that spot. My very first signal sounded both high and deep, and I called Dan over to check it with his machine. We both thought it had the potential to be a large button, and sure enough another VA coat in perfect condition came to light. That got us both fired up and we continued to hit that area hard for a while but, unfortunately, without too much success. We eventually moved on to the other part of the field that I had scouted last time, and that had a fair amount of iron, brick and pottery scattered about on the gentle, south-facing slope and near a creek. Not a whole lot was coming from this area either except for those great sounding modern bullets, although Dan got on the board with yet another VA coat button. Eventually I got a nice solid hit, and pulled out this unusual looking brass item. Initially when it was caked with dirt I thought it was a piece of junk. I threw it in my pouch and later decided to rub some of the dirt off. To my shock I could see a large, detailed eagle and a star, and I knew I had something of significance. But since I'm not super knowledgeable with CW finds I had no clue. When I finally showed it to Dan he was floored, and told me I was holding a shako hat plume in pretty much perfect condition. I've heard of those but had never seen one dug before. Dan was quite impressed, and said my find was in much better shape than most as they're usually all smashed up. He also thought it might be an early 1800s variety, but after doing some research later he discovered it was post-war. That was a bit disappointing but I was still happy about digging something I had never seen before. This had to be the site of a small homesite and camp, and according to the owner it's been hunted before. No telling what was found here by the first to hunt it. We might try to get back into this site on Sat, but the odds are the farmer will have the field planted before then. Oh well, just another site to add to next year's list.

** Sorry for the order of the pics, but the website has again sorted them as it sees fit and ignored my uploading sequence. I wish someone would fix this problem as it happens quite frequently and is very frustrating.

Attachments

• 041914a.JPG
    041914a.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 041914b.JPG
    041914b.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 88
  • 041914c.JPG
    041914c.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 041914d.JPG
    041914d.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 041914e.JPG
    041914e.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 041914f.JPG
    041914f.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 041914g.JPG
    041914g.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 89
  • 041914h.JPG
    041914h.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 041914i.JPG
    041914i.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Upvote 8

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome as usual Bill. It was a fun day - we have been so blessed to dig the amount of colonial coins that we have - it was fun to dig some military stuff as well.

Dan

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome as usual Bill. It was a fun day - we have been so blessed to dig the amount of colonial coins that we have - it was fun to dig some military stuff as well.

Dan

I totally agree Dan. We have definitely been blessed to have had the success we've experienced over the last couple of years. I can't recall a single time during that period where we didn't come home without enough quality finds to make a nice post. But like I always say, its mostly about research, experience, and of course a little luck thrown in from time to time. Looking forward to keeping our relic ball rolling next season.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice recoveries Bill. That VA is sure pretty. Love the patina on the hat plume, even if its post war it is a really nice looking piece. Glad you guys were able to end on a high note.
-Evan

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful VA button Bill, just perfect. The hat plume is a beautiful relic too, even if it is post war. I dug a pretty nice one a couple years ago. It was flattened but all there - 1830s artillery.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, lovely looking book & a nice first!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, that button is as pretty as I've ever SEEN Bill. The shako hat plume thing. When you say "post-war" do you mean, "Post" Revolution, 1812, or War between the States?

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful finds, I've only found 1 Va button and it was a cuff. A coat button in that shape would make my year!

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet finds!!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Virginia and plume holder Bill. It's great to see you change it up a bit and dig some great militaria!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a year you have had....stellar to say the least !!!

That is a gorgeous button......would love to have that in my button tray !!!!

First hat plume I have ever seen...very nice.....would love to see your collection someday .

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds, Bill! Love the brass piece.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Virginia and plume holder Bill. It's great to see you change it up a bit and dig some great militaria!

As you know, I'm obsessed with digging all things colonial, but its also exciting to dig relics from another era. And especially when they're military related.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What a year you have had....stellar to say the least !!!

That is a gorgeous button......would love to have that in my button tray !!!!

First hat plume I have ever seen...very nice.....would love to see your collection someday .

Thanks Aqua. If you're ever in the neighborhood feel free to stop by. And I'd love to see that button tray of yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread