Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my best finds ever. Pulled this with the AT-Pro and 5"x8" coil 5 inches underground about 15 feet from home plate. Home plate is part of a softball field behind a church that was built in the mid-1800s. I was shaking. When I saw in the plug, I immediately put it into my cargo pants pocket and ran cool water over it at home; no scrubbing. Sent it in to NGC and it received an XF Details grade. The "Improperly Cleaned" probably came from the fact its been underground for a very long time. Love it...it has excellent eye appeal.

aj DSC01053.JPG DSC01055.JPG DSC01057.JPG DSC01064.JPG

Upvote 16

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Soo..

Anyway all points are valid & well taken.
Also as grading is subjective .
So Would not any Coin that,s Seen any circulation AU & under be a "Details Coin"?

Under Magnification esp, 10X s I can find a problem with almost any coin.
Heck I can do that with a naked eye. [most of the time].

Don't get me wrong the OP's coin is an awesome find & in great shape.
and his choosing to get it graded is all fine by be as long as he is happy.

I,m just wondering if it,s really worth the money spent to have it graded ?
? is The coin that my Local Coin Shop might sell me (RAW) for around 210 or $225
sell for the price range with that (IMO Hated "Improperly Cleaned " Label?
Or will it sell for more?

I guess the "label" helps folks with an untrained eye or those buyers with little patience.

Oh well like I said as long as the OP is happy , I,m happy & all this really does not matter unless one is buying or selling said Coin.

Davers.....:dontknow:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a spectacular coin. Congratulations. I dream of the day that I gind a seated coin.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grading companies can ruin a hobby. They killed the baseball card hobby for me many years ago. Used to be the highest grade a baseball card could be in was "mint" condition. Then the grading companies came along and decided the highest grade was "gem mint" condition. And of course, a gem mint card was now worth ten times the price of a mint condition card. Total nonsense.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to slab a dug coin is to confirm that it's authentic. After that, it's just a matter of personal opinion as to the actual condition of the coin.

OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I am VERY happy with your input and the coin! HARUMPH...and a little frontier jibberish thrown in...rarow.

aj

I Guess So...???

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The actual person doing the grading has no idea who's coin it is, where it came from, or any type of information like this. Everything in there procedure of grading involves total anonymity so as to give everyone a total bias grade. That is why NGC, and the PCGS have the reputations they have. The coin was not labeled "improperly cleaned" because it was run under water, it was because it has scratches on it.
Again, the OP's coin is very beautiful and now "preserved" and protected in a unopenable plastic case. If I find a coin like that, I think I would get it slabbed too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread