Saturday silver at the Berg with the boys

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
With the stagecoach spot such a long drive away and then a long hike..... and the weatherman teetering on rain or nice conditions, my son and I decided to do the safe thing and meet Mirage and his son Nate at the Iceberg at 8am for a shot at some silver. Outside of the "wheatfield" area, finds (especially silver) have thinned out tremendously from last year's hunts, but the chances of some silver always exist here.
Heavy fog enshrouded the road on the drive in, making everyone out there drive like your grandma, and I was worried we'd be late for the planned meeting time. We left early enough and made it just before they pulled in.
Packed and loaded we headed out (seems like such a familiar routine now that we have done this hike so many times). We kept out voices quiet as to not disturb what seemed like such a peaceful morning. Rounding one bend on the hike we startled a large group of HUGE deer and while the bucks ran off first the does stood their ground and waited until we continued our backpack-laden march towards them. Begrudgingly they too leaped away deeper into the woods. Man what a site!...I was so caught up in it I didn't even think of taking a picture, but we were CLOSE to them!
We went straight for the Wheatfield and got to work. As usual Bob and Nate began hammering coin after coin (I really now think that there IS an advantage to the Sunray probe, as Bob would continue to pull coins from a large hole using just his Sunray rather that having to stand up and re-aquire a target with the main coil like I did)
Spencer (my son) did fine, but as typical for a 13 yr old tended to take lots of breaks for wandering and stuff, which is fine with me, as long as he's occupied and happy).
As 3pm approached we were all pretty tuckered out and packed up to leave. We did wander away from the "Wheatfield" a bit but all in all stayed there.
I'll let Bob and Nate tell you what stupid-insane number of wheats they found, but I ended up (counting Spencer's too) with I think around 40 wheatbacks. I also dug a well-worn 1935D Washington quarter, a 1942 Merc in good shape and a 1956 Rosie. Also a junk ring that's pretty cool. Spencer dug a neat old Milk bottle as well.
Here's some pics!

Spencer taking a break in the Wheatfield (note the major excavations in the surrounding dirt)
3-24hunt 001.jpg
Nate working the woods for wheat!
3-24hunt 002.jpg
Spencer's old bottle (too bad it was broken)
3-24hunt 004.jpg
Washingtone just dug
3-24hunt 005.jpg
Finds dumped out at day's end
3-24hunt 008.jpg
closeup
3-24hunt 010.jpg
cleaned!
3-24hunt 011.jpg
Oldest two wheats...1911 and 1919
3-24hunt 012.jpg
reverse of silvers
3-24hunt 013.jpg

HH all!

Upvote 0

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Another great hunt at the Iceberg....That site looks like its been gone through by a pack of wild hogs....Joe

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, it's great that you guys were able to get together and have the weather coorperate.

You talk about backpacking in, do you bring lunches, drinks etc. or just Md stuff.

Congratulations,

Johnny

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
jopher said:
Another great hunt at the Iceberg....That site looks like its been gone through by a pack of wild hogs....Joe
lol! We don't leave it like that when we leave Joe, but I think Bob pulled another two dozen wheats from that open area right to the right of Spencer in that first picture after we took lunch.
If you read earlier posts about huting here, I have said many times it's more like an excavation at times to get to these coins. There is SO MUVH rusted ferrous in the ground that it nulls out most any good signal until you strip that top 3 inches or so away.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Johnny Cache Hunter said:
Very nice, it's great that you guys were able to get together and have the weather coorperate.

You talk about backpacking in, do you bring lunches, drinks etc. or just Md stuff.

Congratulations,

Johnny
let's see Johnny...here's what my mega-pack usually has for one of these hunts:
Two sandwiches (if I have my son w/me)
extra AAs
extra 9Vs
spare DFX battery
multi-tool/hemostats/scissors
electrical tape
zip ties
first aid kit
coffee thermos(if Spencer's w/me he carries the thermos)
sweets
saltys (chips or such ;D)
water (if Spencer's with me, he carries a Camelbak w/water)
extra coils
extra digger
fire making stuff
10X loupe
spare gloves
spare socks
raingear for two
camera case
two-way radios (if our groups split up)
cell phone
toilet paper ::)
a few ziplocks
hankerchief for nice coin finds

So...the pack's kind heavy, but so am I! (6'1" 225)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go guys. Looks like you brought home the whole wheat field! What a great day.
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
ModernMiner said:
Way to go guys. Looks like you brought home the whole wheat field! What a great day.
Congrats,
MM

yeah...but wait till you see the number of wheats those two dug (again)

BTW Miner...I dig your new avatar!...it's art!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danimal said:
ModernMiner said:
Congrats,
MM

yeah...but wait till you see the number of wheats those two dug (again)

BTW Miner...I dig your new avatar!...it's art!

Thanks. It was my double Indian day. ;D Those two shades of green look pretty good together.
I also changed my avatar because everyone thought I was an old man. ;D
-MM-

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Danimal!
The engineers at Whites Electronics would be mighty impressed with that shot of the DFX in the truck. :D Man! I thought I got mine dirty. Again you raised the bar!

Congratulations on a hunt well done and some great coins!

Ridley

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Nice finds! How do you get the coins so clean so fast? Is it just a water wash, or do you do something else?

Thanks, and congratulations,

Mike

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
MikeOregon said:
Nice finds! How do you get the coins so clean so fast? Is it just a water wash, or do you do something else?

Thanks, and congratulations,

Mike
This is the first time I have tried cleaning them like Mirage and Nate have done (kinda)
I first let them soak in boiling peroxide for about an hour (peroxide stopped fizzing after about 15 min)
then a soft toothbrush, then an olive oil bath and wipe with a cotton cloth!
I think they use amonia first and then the oil.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Dan,
It was good day to be out - no snow, a t-shirt, coins. Life is good. :)

Took home 102 wheats. What's amazing is that most of them came from the same hot spot that we started back in the fall. But you know the real reason that I whooped you on the wheats? My superior skill. ;) ;D :D

And we were dead even on the silver until the last minute when we were waiting for Nate to get his backpack. Dan swings about 2 feet in front of me and scores a merc!

Nate and I do things a little different for cleaning. I just pour a good cup of ammonia and dump all the wheats in. Let them soak for a minute or two and then take each one out and wipe clean with a swab. Nate dips the swap in ammonia and scrubs each one individually.
We both coat them with a little olive oil.

Bob

G

garbage digger

Great story :) You guys did very well. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions