46.5 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 2

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Charlie, Welcome to Treasurenet and congrats on a great find, tokens are always fun. Your 12 1/2 Cent coin, also one "bit" one could say (because 25 cents is two bits) may hail from a community close to you. Where did you find it? Your local library would be a great and easy place to start, looking at 1900ish telephone and business directories for B and H. There are token collectors on this site that can help too. Best of luck, Sub 8-)

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie--What Sub says is true. I've not seen one of these B. & H. tokens before and am fairly familiar with all Idaho tokens. Tokens, of course, drift around the country, so it will help to know what part of the Great 208 you found it in. It is probably aluminum, not tin, though. 12½¢ tokens were popular all over the west, so that doesn't help. One bit was the price of a whiskey drink or a "good" cigar (as opposed to a 5¢ stogie).
John in the Great 208

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://tokencatalog.com/display_records.php?SearchString=B+%26+H&SubmitFilter=Search&SearchStringEveryWord=&SearchStringAnyWord=&action=DisplayRecords

A search on tokencatalog.com showed these results. A few leads but nothing definite. Not uncommon as there are definitely many undesignated tokens out there. Too many with too little information. The guys who spend all that time researching and cataloging them deserve major kudos. Anyway, great site for token info. The link leads to the search results for B & H, and there are a couple of possibles. The fourth one down, a pool hall from Buhl, Idaho seems like a possible, and the Billings, Montana and Salt Lake City tokens seem like real possibilities. However, without some research and a lucky info find, this probably goes in the unknown category. Nice find anyway! Tokens are some of the most interesting finds you can get with a detector!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charliesdigger

Charliesdigger

Greenie
May 19, 2014
Southwest Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your information. I've worked my fingers to the bone looking on the Internet for any information.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool token. Hope you're able to track it down.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
So, Charlie - tell us in what part of the state did you find this??? That will be a clue as to where it is from.
John

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found near bruneau, idaho

So within about 50 miles of Buhl. Looks like a high degree of probability that its related to the cataloged token. It might just be a coincidence, but its a heck of a starting point.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
This evening I spoke with Richard Hansen who put the Buhl listing on tokencatalog.com and he agreed that he had mis-transcribed the photo of the known piece. It is Star, not B. & H. So, we will have tokencatalog corrected next week. Back to the drawing board... But, at least Bruneau is starting point. Thanks, Charlie!J
John in the Great 208

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the detectives start on a new path. One thing about realizing that a lead is incorrect, is that in itself is a important piece of info. Doesn't tell you where it came from, but eliminates a possibility.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't help you on the ID but I like it.
A one bit token is a pretty unusual find I would guess.

OP
OP
Charliesdigger

Charliesdigger

Greenie
May 19, 2014
Southwest Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the mystery was solved. It's a Benham and Hyde saloon token. Was a saloon in Bruneau for about a year.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic,should be fairly rare in that case!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions