Baseball, Brooch and Baggage ... Finds of 6/21-22

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

6/21: I pulled up another large token, this time it served a dual purpose...advertising 'Thompson's Hats' and the local but defunct 'Central Association's' baseball schedule for 1914. Isn't that something? Cool I though. This puppy was a chore to clean well enough to read. I hate having to clean thing to death, but sometimes you have to in order to read them...especially if you can't find another example of it anywhere else. I am thinking that 'Thompson's Hats' were maybe baseball caps or something related. But me liking anything with dates...I got more than I bargained for with this token alone lol. Now I can go to the archives and see if I can find some articles on the games or maybe some team photos. in addition to the token I also found the brooch pin. Cleaning that was a chore too...but it has come leaps and bounds. I found it bent in half, green/black and forlorn. I was so afraid to bend it back to shape...I could feel it cracking when I did...eek...but i realized that it was more of the crust snapping than the pin itself. Still fragile though, but it's held up to my vigorous cleaning quite well. I am guessing this to be quite old, maybe very early 1900's. Any suggestions? The pin is missing but I found one of the clips nearby.

6/22: I got the clearance to hunt my aunts property. She managed to get a house next door to where she grew up...and me too on the weekends...Grandma's. I hit most of my aunt's yard but only found clad, a few scrap items, the 1910 and Canadian cent. I was really thinking there would be silver there...it's in an older district of town so I was hopeful :icon_scratch: My grandmother's house was built in the 1920's, so I figured there would be more in proximity. I can go back but will wait till it dries out a bit (so much rain lately). Anyway, what I have not pictured here was a rail road baggage tag. I didn't get to keep that :( but that's the name of the game I suppose. I am working on getting a picture of it and when I do I'll post it. I was told that I could hunt my grandmother's former residence but that'll have to wait.

Hope everyone's summer is going well. GL & HH.

Attachments

• IMG_3568.JPG
    IMG_3568.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3571.JPG
    IMG_3571.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3572.JPG
    IMG_3572.JPG
    943.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3573.JPG
    IMG_3573.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
Upvote 6

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not honestly sure which I love more the brooch or the token. I am leaning towards the token though. Great finds my friend.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the token............it's killer!!
Hope you show the baggage claim..........those usually are worth a chunk!

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The baseball schedule token is fantastic! And wasn't Radar O'Reilly from Ottumwa?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love that token as well, incredible find!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for sure! Get back there!

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone for the likes and comments! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread