beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the pleasure of hunting with my buddy Smittyman this morning. I finally got permission to hunt two older homes built probably around 1900. Very quickly between us we had found 6 wheat pennies and were encouraged that there could/should be silver there. Shortly thereafter I found the 10k gold filled United States Air Force ring. When I first started cleaning it up and saw the color I thought I had a fantastic find. Turned out to be gold filled and whatever the center was it's pretty toasted now. Still I'm happy with it as it's only the third ring I've ever found. I dug a couple more wheat pennies then I got a faint peep on my Deus with a TID of 92-93 which only flashed once or twice. When I got to the coin it was 7 1/2" deep and was the 1899 Barber quarter. It cleaned up okay but not as well as most other silver coins I've found. Ended up with 10 wheats. These items were all found in the same yard. I found a mini coin spill at the other house. First found a wheat penny and when I pinpointed the hole again I found another wheat penny. When I picked up the second one the mercury dime fell into the hole. It was front to back with the second wheatie. If you look at the photo you can see the green area on the mercury dime where the wheat was stuck to it. I couldn't get that to come off with baking soda. I'll try some Flitz on it. Four wheat pennies found in the second yard. One of my favorites is the Warranted Superior saw medallion. I have to do some research to find out the approximate year as they had many designs. Thanks for looking and best of luck hunting to everyone.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
008.JPG
007.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 15

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt! Don't sweat the Barber, it actually cleaned up about how a Barber in that grade should look I would say. It actually doesn't look dug, from the pic, and that's a good thing. The car might not have much value, but its a cool find!

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I found the same AF ring 2 weeks ago 12 K gold filled, but the initial view from the hole had me fooled at first.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A hunt like that reminds me of one of my best hunts, except for I didn't find a .25 barber, or the tootsie car, ring, umm, the trash looks familiar!:laughing7: great finds, congrats!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice group. Still waiting patiently for a Barber, lol. I keep getting firsts this year, so there's hope yet, lol.

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the kind of finds that I really enjoy. The Barber and Merc are nice!! Congrats on it all.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, and I certainly wouldn't clean the Barber or Merc any further. The Barber looks really good with the dark background, highlighting the raised parts.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looked like an interesting day to me, love the ring, i used to have one with the blue stone.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Silver is in great shape. Nice!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. I found the same AF ring 2 weeks ago 12 K gold filled, but the initial view from the hole had me fooled at first.

I dug the ring thinking is was a clad quarter because the TDI of the ring fell in that range. But when my friend rubbed off some of the dirt it had that beautiful gold shine so I got excited. I then took it to the jeep to clean off the inside to see if it was stamped and it was......10k gold filled

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent finds Jay. Congrats on a spectacular haul.

alwayssearching

May 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice..... What a day. Love the silver coins..... Great job, thanks for sharing..

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ring is really cool. Is that an I.d. Bracelet?

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A flick of gold will get your heart racing. I found an Army ring like yours and found they were sold at truck stops. Congrats on the silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread