Religious pendant

Tony12100

Oct 14, 2013
Southern New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Returned to the old tavern site I have been digging .Trailered the lawn tractor in to knock the high grass down. Last week I found a NJ copper and an old button. Today I dug this large religious pendant with what appears to be Mary holding a chalice in one hand and mixing something in the other..can any tell me what it all represents..there's no marking on the back at all appears to be made of bronze.
There was a red ruby on top of the cup..it popped out somewhere in my truck..I'm so upset about that.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140625_184235.png
    ForumRunner_20140625_184235.png
    509.8 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20140625_184303.png
    ForumRunner_20140625_184303.png
    431 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 5

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony, that is a very nice artifact, congrats. I would take a high powered flashlight and a sticky tape roller (used for clothing) to every surface of the truck in hopes to find the ruby. If not, put a single nylon stocking in the hard suction hose of a vacuum, then hold it in place with the plastic tip. When you vacuum, all things will get stuck in the nylon for you to inspect. Good luck, Sub 8-)

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Mr. Tony. My opinion of what you have there is actually a depiction of Saint Barbara. In one hand is actually a chalice, but in the other hand is not a mixing instrument, but is actually the handle and hilt of a downward pointing sword. Don't know the significance of those items or St. Barbara but here is a pic.

images.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save! Hope you find the ruby!
At lest it's lost where you have a chance of finding it. I pulled a religious pendant out of the beach sand minus the stone, no finding that one! Nice site you've got!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread