1891 Indian Head Cent! Fourth Pre-1900 IH in the Last Month!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out a "hunted out" spot last night for about an hour. Only came up with two coins, but both were keepers. Found a 1940 wheatie about 7 inches down and an 1891 IHC about 5 inches down. The wheatie was a little toasted, but the IHC was nice! Weird!

This is my 4th pre-1900 IHC in the last month. I had only found one IHC in 14 months of detecting before I went on this recent run. And I've never found a 1900's IHC! My newest one is an 1896. Very odd...

Here's a couple of pics. Forgot to take any "before" pictures, but it wasn't bad out of the ground. Cleaned it up with hydrogen peroxide and then rubbed a little mineral oil on it. Front is nice, but the back is really nice!

1891 indian head cent.JPG 1891 indian head back.JPG

Upvote 7

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you lucky dog! I am doing my best to find my second IH, it has been a long, long time and you find both a wheatie and an IH in a hunted out spot! congrats!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save!

Thanks! This one is the best condition IHC I've ever found. Now if I could just find a fatty...

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you lucky dog! I am doing my best to find my second IH, it has been a long, long time and you find both a wheatie and an IH in a hunted out spot! congrats!

Thanks! This spot is very trashy, so I always hunted it in "coin" mode on my Ace 250. I've been hunting the trashy spots in "jewelry" mode lately and it's paying off. I dig a ton of junk, but it's worth it.

P.S. I found a toasted 1918 wheatie there this afternoon! I dug 15 signals and got 14 pieces of trash and 1 coin! Guess you have to pay your dues to find the good ones.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds!! Ive only found 1 pre-1900s IH in my 4 years of Detecting

I found a toasted 1865 IH and then went over a year before I got the next one! You would think they would be a common find, but that's not the case around here.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice IH! Great cleaning job!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome detail on that one!!! Man I love those indians, congrats

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice IH! Great cleaning job!

Thanks! My last 4 IH's came out okay, but this one cleaned up really well. I wish I had taken a "before" picture. I usually do, but I forgot in my rush to clean it up.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a toasted 1865 IH and then went over a year before I got the next one! You would think they would be a common find, but that's not the case around here.

Its funny you say that. Because i have only found maybe 5 total IH EVER, but have found probably 8+ Barber's between Quarters/dimes. I know they are there, i just think they read bad, the last one i found was 2 numbers BELOW a zinc penny, i almost didn't dig it

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome detail on that one!!! Man I love those indians, congrats

Thank you! I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who enjoys finding IH's.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they are there, i just think they read bad, the last one i found was 2 numbers BELOW a zinc penny, i almost didn't dig it

You are 100% correct. For some reason, they never give me multiple beeps when I find them. One beep every time I pass the coil over one and that's it. Most wheaties and memorials give me multiple beeps every time I pass the coil over them. Very strange!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real looker Tim, congrats. I love the Indian heads. Was laughing the other day showing my buddy the coins I've found in this first year of swinging. I've got more 1700s coins than I do 1900s coins. I try to exclusively hunt very old sites but you'd think Id happen upon a few newer ones. I've found 3 or 4 Indians and 8 or 9 1700s half penny's. Thinking about trying out some newer sites as I'd love to round out my year one collection with some newer silvers that I've yet to find. You've done very well in your short detecting career Tim. Keep up the good work and enjoy that lil beauty. It will display well and that's a great feeling

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread