Found my first Indian Head penny, a thimble, and 7 wheat pennies...but no silver!!!!!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted an old run down home today. Makes me shake my head how someone could let such a lovely home fall into such disrepair. Anyway, I finally found my very first IH penny. When I dug it I wasn't sure it was a coin just that it was coin shaped. So I did some rubbing on it and saw the word United become visible along the rim. A bit more rubbing and there was the date of 1864. I have been looking for, and wanting to find one of these since I first started detecting back in January.

Since this is my first one I don't want to damage it during the cleaning process and really don't know the proper way to clean it. But fortunately I know there are a bunch of seasoned veterans on this site who will know and hopefully share. In addition to the IH penny I also found my first thimble. Although squashed flat it is still really pretty. And lastly I found 7 wheat pennies dated 1910-1927-1930-1940-1945-1945-1950. No silvers today but trust me the IH more then made up for that for me. Good luck on your next hunt and thanks for looking.

1864.jpg
thimble.jpg

Upvote 6

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

LaGold

May 8, 2012
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP deus and whites Mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a pretty good one for a first. Took me a while to get a pre 1865 Indian. GL and HH

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent find my man. I told you that it was about time for you to find an indian... and a nice old one at that. CONGRATULATIONS!

From what I read, they made two different IHCs in 1864... it was the last of the "fat" indians 4.67 grams (88% Copper 12% Nickel) and the start of the "thin" indians 3.11 grams (95% Copper 5% tin or zinc).

Again... congrats on an awesome find. I know that you thrilled.
GL&HH!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great find, finds, is that thimble silver? Just might be, either way it is cool looking

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely a great find, Congrats! :thumbsup:

I found an 1864 Indian Head Cent on Sunday, but it took a lot of cleaning to get the date off of it.

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both look great! The IH is cool but that thimble is really interesting, to me. Looks very fancy for sewing socks. :laughing7:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a newer 1893 IH this Sunday. I am trying also to clean the concrete dirt off the reverse side.

It was with my XP. The Deus likes IH cents.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really awesome coin! I'm still trying to find a 1800's coin. My oldest so far is 1907 barber quarter.

Congrats! And enjoy the moment.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indian .

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Indian 1864 is a good year. I would hit this property again the silver is there you just have to find it. It may take a couple of visits. That's what my experience has shown me. Good Luck

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you dig the lower tones/signals. IHs read lower on some detectors. Take a swing at one and check. On my CTX they read like zinc pennies and can pieces. I have dug more of them with my Deus as a result.

The V Nickel is still eluding me, even though I dig lots of Jefferson's and a few Buffs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread