Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went down to Maryland to a Civil War camp site I've been detecting for the past 8 months. I got a good signal behind some sheds, I dug my Sampson shovel in and popped out some dirt, then got down on my knees to investigate more closely. Just as I got to my knees what do I see? Yellow Jackets and they're not happy! I got up and ran as fast as I could and luckily only 3 followed me and I sustained only 1 sting to the top of my head. I realize that the outcome could have been a lot worse had I not recognized the danger and acted quickly, so be careful out there and be ready to move fast if you have too.

After I got away from the bees, I continued my hunt and was able to find 6 bullets including 1 pulled bullet from this 1/4 acre site that has produced more than 120 bullets, 4 NY state buttons and 1 Eagle Breast plate.

20140723_084603.jpg 20140723_084624.jpg

Upvote 14
OP
OP

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody for sharing your bee encounter stories! I know I got off really lucky to come away with only one sting, it definitely could have been a lot worse . Also thanks for the comments on my "Good" finds!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your finds weren't good, they were fantastic. A hearty congratulations!

And everyone who saw the photos and read your post agrees. It is just that those pesky black and yellow wasps stir up bad memories and fear in most everyone who has encountered them. I am nearly as afraid of the yellow jackets as I am of poisonous snakes. Both make me pucker up.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection of lead! :thumbsup: Sorry to hear about your sting. Go back when its cold with a pint of gasoline to pour in the hole and then drop a match.... LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread