Marble and tokens galore and other old interesting items

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been a very slow few months for me. I haven't found anything really worth posting and I also haven't been hunting as much. It just seems that good places have not been really yielding much. Between March and the end of July I barely found enough to make it a typical month for me, so I was very surprised to go back over some old areas and do as well as I had. I went out for a total of 5 hours Saturday and Sunday and these are my finds.

The areas that I am hunting are where some houses have been torn down to make way for a parking lot. They started earlier in the year and just now are starting to really level and pack gravel. I haven't found more than a silver ring, about 8 wheat cents, an old rail road lock and silver belt buckle. I say not much because this area had about 7 houses and I would estimate that it is between 3-5 acres of land.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Deus. I sent my Minelab in for service which has forced me to use the Deus. I guess you can say that I am really starting to like this machine.

Time is of the essence, because I feel that they want to complete before school starts back. I worked hard looking for the remnants of the top soil in the piles and scattered about. A lot of the finds were on top of the ground. We had storms tonight so I feel that there may be more worked up to the surface.

20140720_195125.jpg 20140720_195156.jpg

I worked on the outskirts and into a lot that was cleared and this is where I found all these tokens. 11 are the same and one was a Washington State tax token:

20140723_214033.jpg 20140723_214108.jpg

20140723_214138.jpg 20140723_214151.jpg

20140723_214213.jpg 20140723_214224.jpg

Here is where it gets really interesting:

Marbles were scattered all about. God only knows how many more are still there. I found 8 earlier in the year at one spot. I also found a Federal General Service Button (first for me) and a 1893 Indian Head cent. I am unsure what the other two brass items are in the lower part of the picture. The oval shaped item is probably a broach of some sort because there is a broken pin attached. I also found the boy scout rank, dated 1911.

20140723_214341.jpg 20140723_214400.jpg 20140723_225135.jpg
20140723_214413.jpg 20140723_214436.jpg

I also found 4 more Wheat cents. Dates are typical. One looks like it was placed on a railroad track and squashed. Another first for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 7

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that is certainly a haul my friend. Now the race is on for you to recover as much as you can before they bury everything under concrete!!!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eleven tokens would be a great year-end total, let alone a one day hunt.
Getting a feeling that that business might have been located there.
Killer!
Carl

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great stuff, I like Marbles the best , aside from old us coins or gold jewelry marbles too my list for favorites! What happend to your ctx? I'm still learning mine

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool spot, I like those tokens!

Steve

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Pointman. Congrats on the IHC... one of my favorite coins. GL&HH.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing !!! You could invite fifty of us over to help you hunt that, and we probably still wouldn't cover it all. Speed hunting, only going after the killer tones, no jumpy signals, marbles just rolling around on the ground, no junk....well I can dream !!!

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All great stuff, I like Marbles the best , aside from old us coins or gold jewelry marbles too my list for favorites! What happend to your ctx? I'm still learning mine

I sent it in to have a new control pad face put on. It had very light scratches, but a bunch of them. Even though I keep a cover on it, the fine dust manages to work its way under the cover.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing !!! You could invite fifty of us over to help you hunt that, and we probably still wouldn't cover it all. Speed hunting, only going after the killer tones, no jumpy signals, marbles just rolling around on the ground, no junk....well I can dream !!!

Its been a really tough area to hunt with the trash and the good targets aren't very plentiful. I would have sworn I would have at least found a silver Rosy, but I haven't. I know that others have detected here but I am not sure how well. I had an iffy signal about 9-10 inches next to a bunch of holes and it ended up being that sterling silver buckle.

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you were talking about the last pic on the left with the eagle, that is a boy scout badge. I think it means "Tenderfoot", The very early rank for a newcomer.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you were talking about the last pic on the left with the eagle, that is a boy scout badge. I think it means "Tenderfoot", The very early rank for a newcomer.

I meant the picture with all the marbles. I am not sure what the two brass objects are at the bottom of the picture.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Terrific finds! The object on the bottom far right almost looks like a belt keeper of some kind.

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If I could find tokens on every hunt I would easily forget about diggin silver. Tokens have so much personal history, love diggin them. Congrats on finding such a great site. Now go find some more so I can see them. HH.

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could find tokens on every hunt I would easily forget about diggin silver. Tokens have so much personal history, love diggin them. Congrats on finding such a great site. Now go find some more so I can see them. HH.
I agree with you

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, Pointman! Those tokens will look great displayed as a group. :)

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I would have to agree, but I sure do like to find silver. What would be perfect would be silver tokens!

Here is some information on the tokens. I just wished that the aluminum ones would come out of the soil in better shape. I have dug half eaten aluminum tokens before.

Display Token Records - All States

And here is some information on the county where the contractor was located. Interesting to note that the city was divided on both sides of the Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_County,_Arkansas

Last edited:

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I would have to agree, but I sure do like to find silver. What would be perfect would be silver tokens!

Here is some information on the tokens. I just wished that the aluminum ones would come out of the soil in better shape. I have dug half eaten aluminum tokens before.

Display Token Records - All States

And here is some information on the county where the contractor was located. Interesting to note that the city was divided on both sides of the Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_County,_Arkansas

Thats some interesting info on these, thanks for passing it on. I have the same problem here on the Aluminum ones. Dirt here is strange, hard,rocky,gravely, and than a foot away you have sandy, powdery? So 1 foot can make a big difference how your coins and tokens come out.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing that I found close to cleaning aluminum tokens is to scrape the hard dirt off and lightly brush them with acid and rinse them. Someone on here suggested using muriatic acid.

In my pics, the 2 really dirty tokens toward the end of the row are beyond salvage. The tokens all were at least corroded 90% of that before I scrapped and lightly brushed gold testing solution on them and rinsing. I don't like using this type of stuff, but it may be all that will work on the tokens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread