pulled a 1922 silver dollar.

damien41

May 13, 2014
Stillwater NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTI 2500 Eagle pinpointing, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT pro super sniper coil. Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image_03.png
    image_03.png
    638.2 KB · Views: 438
  • image_04.png
    image_04.png
    632.9 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 9

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol..this post is funny..obviously the op doesnt want to hear anything different from what he thinks he has...but anyhoo

GREAT FIND! On the silver dollar...i found one this year that was a 22 and it was toasted..i also found a 23 merc that looked like it was AU and never looked like it was circulated...some dirt eff'S up coins..some dirt preserves them. Anyone who has deteted for awhile knows this.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I am quite sure that the glasses in question are quite a conversation piece, I doubt that many concentration camps gave out commemorative shot glasses.

Sure they did.........Christmas ornaments too.

I know, I know............let it die.

OP
OP
D

damien41

May 13, 2014
Stillwater NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTI 2500 Eagle pinpointing, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT pro super sniper coil. Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that everything I have posted has been question and made fun of. That's fine. But to make fun of someone's dead grandparents with remarks like "That must have been awkward at Thanksgiving" is unacceptable for anyone to post. All I know is that my grandparents left Germany in 1954 and never went back. How could they buy these in the 70's, 80's or 90's if they never went back? If they are not from the Holocaust, that's fine, but to poke fun at someone who is looking for information on items I have is rude and something should be done about it! Questions about items I have dug up are unacceptable. Why would I but a $1000.00 metal detector to post fake items! I my not know a lot about old art facts like everyone on here who seems to"know

OP
OP
D

damien41

May 13, 2014
Stillwater NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kodiak 43351, yes I did clean it. I used jewelry tool's, my Dremel 8200, fine cloth, silver cream, silver polish wipes, a lamp with a 20x magnetic lens, tarnish remover and hydrogen peroxide.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damien, a word of advice..... This forum is one of the best places for identification of pretty much anything and the people here will give you an honest assessment of whatever you happen to post. I'm sorry to say that family stories and first impressions often turn out to be inaccurate, but it's just the way it is. Many of us have been doing this a long long time, and we've put a lot of time into research, and as a result have a pretty good idea what we're talking about. Part of that process is also admitting when we're wrong and learning from our mistakes.

As to the glasses.... I have no idea how they came into your grandparents possession. I can tell you though, I spend a lot of time digging through junk stores and I have things from a lot of places I've never been to. You don't have to go to a place to have something from there. Perhaps they bought them at a yard sale, or a thrift store.

As to the gun.... I've owned guns and been around them all my life, in fact from where I'm sitting right now I can see three of them. Those of us who id'd it as a replica know what we're talking about. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would have lied to you and told you it was real, but that's for you to take up with that person. We're only giving you correct information about your find.

My intent was not to make fun of you, or your finds, just to give you accurate information about them. I'm sorry that info doesn't match what you were told, or hoped for, but that's just the way it is sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

damien41

May 13, 2014
Stillwater NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand everything you are saying and yes the gun is from what everyone has said is a replica. The glasses the same, but some replies were unacceptable. I have never replied to someone's post in a negative way. But to be question on my 1922 silver dollar is just not right. So what if I cleaned what I have found in the ground. And from what I understand the Garrett GTI 2500 is one of the best metal detectors on the market today.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be fore warned the attacks on members and their posts will cease or some will find they can't log in for weeks....

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The example is the colt Damien thought he had.If I go into a gunshop the person behind the counter best know what he's talking about,i'll know if he,she,doesnt.Maybe damien doesnt know guns.Maybe he figured the guy behind the counter did,since he was behind the counter.He took it for granted.A man best be knowing guns and ammo to work in a gunshop,the dolt behind the counter didnt belong there.He passed misinformation,and when dealing with guns and ammo,misinfo can get somebody killed very easily.the guy was an idiot.

So he came to Tnet for a second opinion?! The post was asking "what we thought" about the gun. Apparently the OP either already knew the gun was a replica or didn't trust the source of his information....I can only guess. Some before and after photos to back up the story would have stopped this train wreck right in it's tracks. Same could be said about the coin.

If I had invested in all the tools necessary to clean the gun and the coin, had the knowledge and ability to use them plus, had the time that it takes to tackle the job, I would know in advance what the outcome would be. And the results shown are incredible! I would certainly pat myself on the back with before and after images because that process and the end result far outweigh the initial discovery.

Last edited:

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newbie here too damien, i can understand your position to a degree. NOLA_ken is absolutely correct when he states basically that this site is a living encyclopedia of wealth and information with many of these guys doing this and related treasure/collection hobbies for 30-40-50+ years. If these guys say something is correct, it isnt to down you, me or anyone. It is because they have that experience and love to share it with everyone. I have been humbled by the knowledge and guidance here, but i could of easily took it the wrong way, which is where i understand your position damien.

But one thing i have learned here that i havent notice anyone mention to you is the process of cleaning things, especially the coins worthy of value. DONT CLEAN THEM!!!! Leave everything in its current state, post it, get feedback and information. Many things hold and retain a higher value left in its state. Many coins eh not so much, you want to get them decent looking without further damaging them. Polishing is frowned upon highly by many numismatic authorities and collectors, so unless you just want a pretty coin worth its weigh in only its metal, then dont mess with it till your certain it wont change the collective value or monetary value. As for guns, i haven't really looked into them, but from what i have seen so far, a cleaning can kill those too. It is a very tricky thing, so i wouldnt recommend it. But like i said i am just a newbie, one of the good ol boys here probably know alot more about this subject then i. Im just looking out for you because someone did for me.

But anyway, there is a lot of invaluable information, resources, experience and guidance to be had here. Enjoy it and learn :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread