Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came across piles of garbage bags tossed in the woods of my local park the other day. Probably dumped by house renovators or an angry landlord. Initially sparked my curiosity because I could see alongside the garbage were everyday household items like pots, pans, and old books. Here is some of the junk I ended up bringing home (and then throwing away again).

DSC029522.jpg

So I looked through the junk and discovered a nice new Zippo Lighter.

DSC029862.jpg

If they were dumb enough to throw this nice lighter away there had to be more nice things I figured. So I took the time to look through more junk. It was gross, most of the bags were filled with water and soggy old books and papers.

Then I found the real treasure, at the bottom of one of the bags: 2 40% Silver Un-circulated Eisenhower Dollars!

DSC029542.jpg
DSC029682.jpg

A 90% silver Washington Commemorative Half Dollar!

DSC029642.jpg

A Sterling silver BMW key chain!

DSC029692.jpg

A "Sons of Liberty" Commemorative token!

DSC029742.jpg

A $2 bank roll of nickles and a $5 bank roll of dimes!

DSC029562.jpg

And a broken piggy bank-like thing that had a total of $15 in clad change in it.

I was so excited to have found this stuff that I took the whole gross bag home, water, soggy books and all. After getting over my excitement for finding 3 silver coins and a silver key chain I later examined the bank rolls and discovered that the $2 roll of nickles was in fact a roll of Buffalo Nickles! Most in exceptionally good condition! There were even 3 "V nickles" included, the oldest being from 1896!

DSC029602.jpg
DSC029832.jpg
DSC02972.JPG
DSC029712.jpg

I expected the roll of dimes to be of a similar age and be all silver, but alas my luck had run out for the day, they were all modern clad dimes.

DSC029762.jpg

The day's total: 37 Buffalo Nickles, 3 V Nickles, 2 40% silver Eisenhower Dollars, 1 90% Silver Washington Commemorative Half Dollar, a Sterling silver BMW Key Chain, a commemorative token, $20 in clad change, and a nice new Zippo lighter. (And $145 in cash that I made @ work that day, which I for some reason included in the picture, I guess to ad to the size of the day's haul lol).

Last edited:
Upvote 35

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, your efforts were rewarded well! Some dummy didn't realize what they tossed out, good for you!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's finding treasure in the woods ... without a detector! :occasion14:
It never ceases to amaze me what people unknowingly throw away!

Great saves, :thumbsup:
Dave

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome trash finds. It's actually amazing.

I just have to wonder the mentality of someone who would throw all of that stuff away. They had to be either totally clueless or too educated for their own good.

Last edited:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wow! :occasion18::blob9::occasion18: Super that the silver dollars were in perfect condition, & your other coins are wonderful also - Congrats! :headbang: Andi

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a kid, my dad dumpster dived one time and found a bag full of good watches, new fishing lures and a bunch of other things that I can't remember. I don't think it was as good as your find. Congratulations.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Just hope you didn't contract Ebola or Tuberculosis from digging through that junk! HAHAHA

Mike

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now...................If I had stopped to look at those bags the police would probably have pulled in and blamed me for throwing them there and arrested me. Last week I found an old bottle while metal detecting. It was at the edge of the woods and I figured I would pick it up on the way back. Well, on the way back I couldn't find it. Also last week I arrived at the place I decided to metal detect and realized I had left my headphones at home. If you hunt using them all the time you have a really hard time NOT having them. So since I was only 8 miles from home I drove back and got them. I started hunting and the 4th or 5th target I dug the batteries died in my pinpointer. OH, I have a little shoulder bag with all my accessories (spare batteries, A/C charger, emergency charger, bug spray etc) but I had brought that in the house the day before to restock it........................AND FORGOT TO PUT IT BACK IN THE JEEP! So I went home.

Not whining I promise. Just showing how my luck has been going this last week.

BugsyDiggs

Aug 13, 2013
Wow that trash was treasure. Always pays to be curious great job. And u cleaned up the site some :)

jharboldt

Nov 15, 2013
Nice haul!!! That haul beats my best day out this year hands down!!! Wish some idiots by me would throw silver in the woods for me!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread