Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out to a local elementary school on Friday after work. The place is old and has given a up a silver or two. I was walking around, bottlecap here, pull tab there, some clad.... and a big round piece to a junk necklace. I get a nice hit... really nice... like an aluminum can. It had been raining and the ground was soft, so I went to dig, and noticed that someone had already dug here... then I remembered trying to dig this target up another time. I got about 6" down, but the ground was too hard, and I was sure it was a can anyway. The pinpointer went off at 6"... I dug to about 10", stick the pinpointer in... and nothing. I checked the dirt and sure enough... a big gray electrical box knockout plug... it's a slug... but wait a mintue... it has a little patch of silver on it... as I wipe it off, it's got Ben Franklin's face on it... I just couldn't believe my eyes... What an awesome feeling...

I put a couple of toy guns in here, for those of you that do not like awesome giant silver coins.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20140725_193046_976-1.jpg
    IMG_20140725_193046_976-1.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20140725_203104_195-1.jpg
    IMG_20140725_203104_195-1.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20140726_144501_463-1.jpg
    IMG_20140726_144501_463-1.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20140726_155329_790-1.jpg
    IMG_20140726_155329_790-1.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 19

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Fabulous! :notworthy: It pays to go back to dig up those finds that seemed too deep or difficult to reach the first time! :notworthy: Bonanza! :notworthy: Andi

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful. That's one of my favorite coins and I hope to eventually find at least one.

It pays to follow your instincts and keep digging even if you "know" it's a can.

I actually have a target that I have to dig again because it's under two enormous roots. I'm trying to devise a way to get at it without digging a huge hole because of the location. It's also at an old elementary school. I have a good feeling about it but I didn't have the right tools to get it.

I have another target I'm waiting to dig up because there's a HUGE colony of large red ants living in the hole. There are thousands and they're the kind that bite. I have a good feeling about that one too.

Anyway, congrats on the Franklin. You don't see too many of those anymore.

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never forget my big Ben
Awesome recovery way to go

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been waiting for a big silver on my current site ! 12 silvers all dimes ! Nice looking Franklin ! MR

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First and only time I found a Franklin half it was barely sticking out of the loose dirt that I shoveled over. I saw the reeded edge and I couldn't believe that it was a coin at first because it was too thick, I thought. I even managed to barely move the dirt from the face and I still couldn't figure out what it was at first.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still looking for my first Franklin half and Seated liberty Half, Big congrats !!

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sad looking Ben. Soil in that area has been loaded with fertilizer. Still have that coin on my bucket list.

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one sad looking Ben. Soil in that area has been loaded with fertilizer. Still have that coin on my bucket list.

Oh John no... That is a one HAPPY Ben Franklin! He was so glad to be found by me that he actually cracked a little smile.

Nice getting to hunt with you and Smittyman on Saturday morning. It was a shame that we didn't find more, but fun none the less. You let me know if you want to hunt with me after work this week. I would love to have the company.

The fertilizer put some pits into the coin, and it was badly tarnished, however, I am also pitted and tarnished, so we make a good pair.
Thanks John, GL&HH!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET large silver Tom. Congrats!!! :thumbsup:
Mr. Franklin is still on my list to be found.
-MM-

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful. That's one of my favorite coins and I hope to eventually find at least one.

It pays to follow your instincts and keep digging even if you "know" it's a can.

I actually have a target that I have to dig again because it's under two enormous roots. I'm trying to devise a way to get at it without digging a huge hole because of the location. It's also at an old elementary school. I have a good feeling about it but I didn't have the right tools to get it.

I have another target I'm waiting to dig up because there's a HUGE colony of large red ants living in the hole. There are thousands and they're the kind that bite. I have a good feeling about that one too.

Anyway, congrats on the Franklin. You don't see too many of those anymore.

Take a sawz-all with you and just cut the roots out of the way.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, I officially now have half dollar envy. And now that I've crossed the Indian head penny off my "To Find" list I am moving on to Buffalo nickels and half dollars next. Of course if I dig a silver dollar or shield nickel I won't complain either.

Seeing the before and after photos of your Franklin tells me I too need to set up a mini electrolysis unit for when I get ugly treasures. Very nice half dollar, Tom!

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, I officially now have half dollar envy. And now that I've crossed the Indian head penny off my "To Find" list I am moving on to Buffalo nickels and half dollars next. Of course if I dig a silver dollar or shield nickel I won't complain either.

Seeing the before and after photos of your Franklin tells me I too need to set up a mini electrolysis unit for when I get ugly treasures. Very nice half dollar, Tom!

Thanks Jay. I have been very lucky lately.

As much as you hunt, and at the good places you go, I am sure a half will show up before too much longer... knowing you it will be an AU Barber from the 1800s... and I will grumble under my breath about how life is not fair...

Hope to see you soon. GL&HH.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the "hillbilly zappin machine" turned that half in to a beautiful coin again! Congrats Tom I'm glad you saved him. Keep digging, your doing good!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Coin IMO..

Look's as if he was in circulation for awhile .--[ Tarnex , works well on coins such as yours].

I've only dug Franklin Half in my time.---Oh wait 2 [ the other has a bullet stuck in it.]

Good Job!

Davers

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a sawz-all with you and just cut the roots out of the way.

Oh, I know I can get to it with a Sawzall but there's a house very close with a nosy, suspicious looking lady that watches me like a hawk. I want to find a way to find out what's in that hole while still keeping a low profile. I don't want to make any waves because I've had some good luck at the spot and don't want to jeopardize anything. She just seems like the type that would call the coppers or something.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! There's nothing quite like a big ole silver coin coming out. Really strange ground though, don't recall seeing that coloration on a half before.

Excellent save!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread