Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Found it while detecting and an expert told me it was made in Germany 1875-1890. It's heavily damaged but I still think she's cool. I imagine kids or " 'youts" as they were called a hundred years ago gambling on the docks of NyC with this...

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-3680640202.png
    image-3680640202.png
    346.7 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 6

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool, I dug up one that my father played with next to the log house he grew up in, back in the forties, one of my treasures

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

valleyglen

Dec 21, 2012
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice marble, I would date it at more like 1910- 1920, and american not german. Most german marbles
are made from canes or glass rods and have swirls and ribbons through them and are worked and
made by hand. This one is an early machine made american marble,and its colors can usually
be traced to the old american marble companies.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice marble, I would date it at more like 1910- 1920, and american not german. Most german marbles are made from canes or glass rods and have swirls and ribbons through them and are worked and made by hand. This one is an early machine made american marble,and its colors can usually be traced to the old american marble companies.

It is handmade. Thanks for the input though!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Scrap,
whats the difference in a hand made and machine made marble?
Obviously one is made by hand, the other by machine, but how can you spot the difference and what are the two methods?

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like marbles i have many of them digging IH'S and wheats i find them..Very cool marble..

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Marbles are another clue your in the "Play Zone" and maybe some fine goodies will also turn up !!! Hit that spot hard , only way to find out what is there !

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Scrap, whats the difference in a hand made and machine made marble? Obviously one is made by hand, the other by machine, but how can you spot the difference and what are the two methods?

I'm no marble expert but it a lot has to do with the pontil, which is a spot on marbles where a glass rod used to shape the marble was broken off. Most machine made marbles do not have pontils.

I had a couple experts, one of which I knew, look at the marble. They both came up with the same answer of age and origin.

Looking at one picture and coming to a conclusion is not how it works. There are some great websites on marble identification. Check them out - it's amazing how much one needs to know to be an expert!

-Lady Liberty is hot stuff...especially on a coin

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a cool marble.

I would however tend to agree with valleyglen.

I don't think it is a handmade German marble. They typically have a more distinctive internal twist (in which they attempted to maintain symmetry).

I suspect it is an American machine made marble as well.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto on it being American made. The little circles in the pic appear to me to be chips caused by other marbles hitting it. Could still be handmade though if it has pontils elsewhere.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Scrap,
whats the difference in a hand made and machine made marble?
Obviously one is made by hand, the other by machine, but how can you spot the difference and what are the two methods?

Handmade will have Pontil marks at both ends where the glass was cut off. These are usually slightly raised. German marbles are usually clear with swirls of multi colored glass inside or very fancy swirls with mica in them. Machine made are smooth all ends and all around.

Last edited:

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for all the answers on handmade vs. machine. I have a few stashed away that i found back in the states. I ll have to check em out again.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have collected marbles for a long time and have hundreds of the handmade marbles. I believe the marble shown here is machine made and probably after 1930. I see no pontils, and the opaque pattern is not at all like the handmade marbles. Scrappy, I think you need a new marble "expert". If there were indeed pontils, which ALL handmade antique marbles have, at least one pontil would show in your photo. And looking at one photo IS how it works if you know what to look for. Perhaps you are one of those who wishes his find to be really old and handmade and doesn't wish to hear from other experienced people what is actually true. If you still believe it is handmade then show us photos of the pontils. No pontils=machine made, end of story. But for those of us who have collected marbles for fifty or more years it is also the color and pattern of the glass that says machine made and after 1930 or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have collected marbles for a long time and have hundreds of the handmade marbles. I believe the marble shown here is machine made and probably after 1930. I see no pontils, and the opaque pattern is not at all like the handmade marbles. Scrappy, I think you need a new marble "expert". If there were indeed pontils, which ALL handmade antique marbles have, at least one pontil would show in your photo. And looking at one photo IS how it works if you know what to look for. Perhaps you are one of those who wishes his find to be really old and handmade and doesn't wish to hear from other experienced people what is actually true. If you still believe it is handmade then show us photos of the pontils. No pontils=machine made, end of story. But for those of us who have collected marbles for fifty or more years it is also the color and pattern of the glass that says machine made and after 1930 or so.

I'm not here to argue as this marble was a bi-catch while metal detecting. I invite all of you to prove the "experts" I consulted wrong. One of them thought it machine made American too but some things he found changed his mind.

I always say that the minute you think you know everything you stop learning. And while I never thought I knew much about marbles, I would appreciate any expert knowledge.

Btw hundreds of marbles is incredible. Do you have/care to show a picture of your favorite?

Thx

Attachments

• image-1302828451.png
    image-1302828451.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 103
  • image-561339756.png
    image-561339756.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image-454148139.png
    image-454148139.png
    290.4 KB · Views: 67

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not here to argue as this marble was a bi-catch while metal detecting. I invite all of you to prove the "experts" I consulted wrong. One of them thought it machine made American too but some things he found changed his mind.

I always say that the minute you think you know everything you stop learning. And while I never thought I knew much about marbles, I would appreciate any expert knowledge.

Btw hundreds of marbles is incredible. Do you have/care to show a picture of your favorite?

Thx

Looks plastic to me...

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've learned a lot in this thread. Thanks to Scrappy for sharing his cool find and all the experienced TNETers for sharing their knowledge. Alas, I wish that I had had the good fortune to uncover a single marble during my metal detecting career.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread