Different Finds while looking for Maynard Buttplate

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few items that have showed up, while in pursuit of the Elusive Maynard Carbine buttplate. The dog collar is from Stevens of New York, the Crotal Bell, (my first) has only a 7 on it with no other marks. The Casings have all been ripped open like that with the Primer unfired. The button is a Wanamaker & Brown. And I'm not really sure what the CanTab thing is.
DSCN1927.JPG DSCN1929.JPG DSCN1925.JPG DSCN1932.JPG DSCN1933.JPG

The little Tin is Full of something, just haven't got the lid off yet, but I'm certain it's Percussion Caps from EleyBro of London. Then there is the little buckle, Jews Harp, and a neat little lid.

DSCN1930.JPG DSCN1931.JPG

Thanks for Looking !

Upvote 6

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What the HECK is with the ripped open shell casings? Some dude getting powder for an IED back in the day??

OP
OP
NVNutcase

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Needed the slugs and or the Powder and didn't want anyone else using the Brass. The Primers not shot. Got the Little Tin open, and it was full of Glass buttons.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or in a fire?

I agree that they were probably in a fire. Very nice finds. They should look even more nice cleaned up a little.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty cool finds

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. the dog collar is real early. my guess 1870's or so but could be earlier and has some value. I am unsure when they were invented (mass produced) but I know they existed during the American Civil War. I dug an Eley Bros tin like yours in a west coast site though it was empty. I have two non-dug ones in my collection full of caps. Jaw harp is neat too. your site is producing some nice quality artifacts. congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread