Random finds in the past week. Mark one off the list.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are the highlights from the past 3 hunts.

This past Saturday I hunted a new town and with Jublain. We were at a church that originated at the turn of the century. The first hour Jublain finds a war nickel and then later on he finds his first Buffalo. It appeared that the church had been detected many times before, because it was devoid of targets. I managed to dig lower tones and ended up with 6 Jefferson nickels, one dated to 1948 and this lower tone signal. The only really nice tones I heard were up close to the foundation and they ended up being clad quarters.

20140801_200522.jpg

1891 British Queen Victoria Penny

It was found just under a tree root about 4 inches and it range in solid like a shallow nickel. I nicked the side a little getting it out. Bad habits still happen from time to time.

The next hunt was at a town 40 miles north of me. We had hunted the sidewalk at the front of this house last year. A few weeks ago, I was passing through and noticed the house was torn down. I asked the neighbor and they told me that the church across the street owned it. I got permission. I felt really good about this property because it had a house there on a 1928 Sanborn map.

First hole I dug the pocket watch case, but literally nothing else for the next two hours. The window latch was going to the scrap bin, but I decided to keep it. I will shine it up later:

20140801_190359.jpg 20140801_190335.jpg

Hallmark says "New Timekeeper" First time I found one where the hinge worked.

The same day and about the 7th hour into it. I was determined to find a piece of silver. I knocked on a door and the lady told me to "go at it" in her front yard. I used a Tesoro Outlaw for the first time and the first signal was this 1929 Mercury dime. Felt good to find a piece of silver finally. I also found this dog tax tag and dress weight (first time I found one). The tax tag was a really sketchy signal.

20140801_200616.jpg 20140729_185447.jpg

This is one of the best condition pre-1940 Mercury dimes I have found. Full-bands.

20140801_200653.jpg

Finally today, I spent another 8 hours detecting. I was able to get permission on a private college campus and I had dreams of finding multiple silver coins. I ended up finding nothing but zinc pennies mostly. I then got permission at two more places and I hit a large easement. This was the only thing I found worth mentioning today. It was a first for me and one I can feel better about scratching off the list, but like the SLQ, I want to find one in much better shape.

20140801_142612.jpg

Liberty Nickel, no date

It was really shallow. I passed it up thinking that it was a piece of can. I happened to walk back to the same spot and decided to dig, or rather scratch the dirt in the tall grass. I at first thought it was a really worn Jefferson. I could only tell it was a V nickel when I noticed the crown tip and then I flipped it over and saw the faint outline of the "V". These have been running from me my whole short detecting career. Took a lot of can slaw and pull-tabs to finally find this sucker.

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still can't believe you found that penny.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still can't believe you found that penny.

You never know.

Like when I found the 1903 Indian head cent (my first) in front of a 1946 -2 bedroom house with a 25 x 25' front yard. I thought it was a wheat until I started to clean it up a week later.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great finds, good on the permissions too

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a lot of hunts. You were bound to find some good things, and you did. Congrats on the V nickle.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunts, great thread, nice read, I like those finds, I need to find some V nickels and seated. I have three house permissions where I think they are hiding, just haven't had time to get there yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread