[BANNER] Civil War Bonanza...Sword, Bayonet, and MORE! Soldier initials engraved!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Civil War Bonanza...Sword, Bayonet, and MORE! Soldier initials engraved!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Civil War Bonanza...Sword, Bayonet, and MORE! Soldier initials engraved!

The other day I shoved off on what would prove to be a very productive and physical three-day camping and digging trip. Covering 35+ miles of water ways my good pal Beau and I had a heck of a trip. We spent many weeks researching and then the day was here to make good on it. I won't give away Beau's finds, though they are comparable and in some regards he most likely made the find of the hunt - though we both did VERY well.

I had a slow day 1 with just a couple of bullets and the early oar lock/holder - and Beau did as well, though he made his best two finds of the hunt on that day. Day 2 was spent digging plenty of bullets, fired and drops, CS and US. My heart breaker was the post-war Virginia Cuff button...go figure and I wonder how it found its way out in the middle of nowhere. I did well with bullets and a few other odds and ends but still could not touch Beau's finds from Day1.

Day 3 was my day to shine and shine I did. My first target of the morning was the dropped and perfectly straight bayonet...it was truly a needle in the haystack as other than one flat button, that was the only relic to be dug at that particular site. A short time later at a different location, I reached under the bank and pulled out the complete basket to an 1840's Cavalry saber "Wrist-breaker," I had finally found a nice "take-home" relic for the trip. (all of my finds were fun, but after such a physical trip, one would want a killer find to take home). What made this find even better is that IT WAS MARKED WITH THE SOLDIERS INITIALS!!! Carved on the hilt was W. H. K. After research, it seems unlikely that I will find the owner as there are over 10 regiments each with multiple WHKs who were in the area of this sword...still a neat addition to it. A few feet later I dug what must have been a dumped CW era vest as in the clay were 6 beautifully preserved civil war vest sized eagle general service buttons.

After digging another bullet and a few flat buttons and 1800s pocket knife, we moved on to the final site of the trip. My first find of the trip was a partially melted bullet, causing me to slow down and be more methodical...my second was the US Breast Plate! This was truly the trifecta day, sword, bayonet, plate...what else could surface. Well while it might not stun some, it made me very happy. I ended up in a pocket of .69 buck & ball cartridges. What is unique is that while I found a total of 7 of these (6 complete with their buck balls), I recovered one that was entirely fused together and intact, the balls and .69 ball still together! This is a unique and cool find. My last find of the trip was the trigger mechanism for a civil war era enfield musket.

All in all I dug 40+ bullets, a handful of buttons, the basket, bayonet, and breast plate. We always have a great time and this will be one trip that will not be forgotten by either of us.

HH

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	1034250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1b.JPG 
Views:	440 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	1034251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8050033.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	1034252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1c.JPG 
Views:	350 
Size:	954.8 KB 
ID:	1034253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1d.JPG 
Views:	361 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	1034254  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1e.JPG 
Views:	351 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	1034255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1g.JPG 
Views:	386 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	1034256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1f.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	1034257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1j.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	1034258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1i.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	867.6 KB 
ID:	1034259  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1h.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	761.9 KB 
ID:	1034263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1k.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	1,012.4 KB 
ID:	1034264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1l.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	1,016.5 KB 
ID:	1034265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1m.JPG 
Views:	331 
Size:	894.0 KB 
ID:	1034266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8020013.JPG 
Views:	541 
Size:	729.0 KB 
ID:	1034267  

gb
    Virgin Hunter

Apr 2013
    VIRGIN ISLANDS
    ACE 250 AT Pro SEA HUNTER 2 Garrett Pro Pointer Ghost Amphibian Headphones Vibra Probe 580 Vibra Tector 730
    1796 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Way cool!!

Gotta be a Banner!!!
    It's OK to be disappointed AFTER you dug it - as long as you never forget; that BEFORE you dug it, it had the POTENTIAL to be life changing!

Charter Member
    us
    John

Feb 2013
    Arkansas
    I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, Nokta Anfibio, White’s TRX, Profind 35
    1506 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice finds by any stretch and more so because they are in extremely good condition. I am amazed at the gilt on the buttons.

Holy CW Relics Batman! Banner hunt in my opinion. That sword hilt and eagle plate are amazing. Great work and thanks for sharing.
    Rick (Nova Scotia) likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Western MA
    Garrett at pro
    876 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Wow wow wow. It looks like fun just sitting by the fire but with all those relics it makes it an amazing time. I would love to add any of those relics to my collection. Must have been very exciting pulling all that out. Congrats and I'm putting a banner vote in now.

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6444 times
    Just AWESOME Finds ..
    Sounds like my type of adventure, I always wanted to go on a Relic Hunting / Camping Trip.

Were these mostly Water Finds?

I always see those pics of Beau in the water.

Davers
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6444 times
    Oh a Great Assortment of relics as well.

Can not wait to see what Beau Pulled.

Davers
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Looks like you guys had an awesome time Dan. I see where you didn't find any coins, but with all the other great stuff I guess it didn't matter. Based on the number and uniqueness of your finds I'm definitely voting banner. Congrats on a great hunt!

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8308 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Damn buddy that is incredible! The bayonet and basket are what I consider to be once in a lifetime finds. At least for most. Has to be banner my friend
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Apr 2009
    Hardyville, KY
    garrett A.T. gold Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
    429 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    WOW!! Some beautiful pieces there! Looks like a heck of a haul
    Finds as of August, 4th 2014

PENNIES- 131
    Copper- 46
    Zinc- 85
    wheaties- 1

NICKELS- 8
    Buffalo- 1

DIMES-21
    Silver Rosies-

QUARTERS- 4
    Silver Quarters-

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    13019 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    TOTALLY AWESOME! Really wonderful finds, finds that make anyone smile from ear to ear! had to have been an awesome time, great company, finding the relics! congrats
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    8003 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Outstanding hunt Dan. The sword guard, breastplate, and bayonet are all "centerpiece" relics. Are your stream bottoms rocky, clay, or sand? The little water hunting that I have done has been in very rocky stream beds and I found it very difficult to retrieve the targets.

P.S. You may want to re-evaluate your 1800s pocket knife. That is a colonial "clasp" knife if I ever saw one!

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    19910 times
    Congrats and thanks for sharing. Wow finds for sure.

us
    Jul 2012
    USA
    Minelab E-Trac
    2888 times
    Incredible finds! Such great history to go behind each and every relic! Great job on the research and Congrats on all the great saves!

us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
    1334 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Epic. Congratulations to both of you. I trust Beau shot lots of video we can all look forward to?
    Tnmountains likes this.
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

Descended from Patriots & Rabble-Rousers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links