🥇 BANNER Civil War Bonanza...Sword, Bayonet, and MORE! Soldier initials engraved!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I shoved off on what would prove to be a very productive and physical three-day camping and digging trip. Covering 35+ miles of water ways my good pal Beau and I had a heck of a trip. We spent many weeks researching and then the day was here to make good on it. I won't give away Beau's finds, though they are comparable and in some regards he most likely made the find of the hunt - though we both did VERY well.

I had a slow day 1 with just a couple of bullets and the early oar lock/holder - and Beau did as well, though he made his best two finds of the hunt on that day. Day 2 was spent digging plenty of bullets, fired and drops, CS and US. My heart breaker was the post-war Virginia Cuff button...go figure and I wonder how it found its way out in the middle of nowhere. I did well with bullets and a few other odds and ends but still could not touch Beau's finds from Day1.

Day 3 was my day to shine and shine I did. My first target of the morning was the dropped and perfectly straight bayonet...it was truly a needle in the haystack as other than one flat button, that was the only relic to be dug at that particular site. A short time later at a different location, I reached under the bank and pulled out the complete basket to an 1840's Cavalry saber "Wrist-breaker," I had finally found a nice "take-home" relic for the trip. (all of my finds were fun, but after such a physical trip, one would want a killer find to take home). What made this find even better is that IT WAS MARKED WITH THE SOLDIERS INITIALS!!! Carved on the hilt was W. H. K. After research, it seems unlikely that I will find the owner as there are over 10 regiments each with multiple WHKs who were in the area of this sword...still a neat addition to it. A few feet later I dug what must have been a dumped CW era vest as in the clay were 6 beautifully preserved civil war vest sized eagle general service buttons.

After digging another bullet and a few flat buttons and 1800s pocket knife, we moved on to the final site of the trip. My first find of the trip was a partially melted bullet, causing me to slow down and be more methodical...my second was the US Breast Plate! This was truly the trifecta day, sword, bayonet, plate...what else could surface. Well while it might not stun some, it made me very happy. I ended up in a pocket of .69 buck & ball cartridges. What is unique is that while I found a total of 7 of these (6 complete with their buck balls), I recovered one that was entirely fused together and intact, the balls and .69 ball still together! This is a unique and cool find. My last find of the trip was the trigger mechanism for a civil war era enfield musket.

All in all I dug 40+ bullets, a handful of buttons, the basket, bayonet, and breast plate. We always have a great time and this will be one trip that will not be forgotten by either of us.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 537
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    937 KB · Views: 505
  • P8050033.JPG
    P8050033.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 426
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 412
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    708.1 KB · Views: 423
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 421
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 457
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    747.2 KB · Views: 447
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 386
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 342
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 387
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 375
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 360
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 399
  • P8020013.JPG
    P8020013.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 58

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way cool!!

Gotta be a Banner!!!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds by any stretch and more so because they are in extremely good condition. I am amazed at the gilt on the buttons.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy CW Relics Batman! Banner hunt in my opinion. That sword hilt and eagle plate are amazing. Great work and thanks for sharing.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow wow. It looks like fun just sitting by the fire but with all those relics it makes it an amazing time. I would love to add any of those relics to my collection. Must have been very exciting pulling all that out. Congrats and I'm putting a banner vote in now.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just AWESOME Finds ..
Sounds like my type of adventure, I always wanted to go on a Relic Hunting / Camping Trip.

Were these mostly Water Finds?

I always see those pics of Beau in the water.

Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh a Great Assortment of relics as well.

Can not wait to see what Beau Pulled.

Davers:thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you guys had an awesome time Dan. I see where you didn't find any coins, but with all the other great stuff I guess it didn't matter. Based on the number and uniqueness of your finds I'm definitely voting banner. Congrats on a great hunt!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn buddy that is incredible! The bayonet and basket are what I consider to be once in a lifetime finds. At least for most. Has to be banner my friend

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! Some beautiful pieces there! Looks like a heck of a haul

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TOTALLY AWESOME! Really wonderful finds, finds that make anyone smile from ear to ear! had to have been an awesome time, great company, finding the relics! congrats

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding hunt Dan. The sword guard, breastplate, and bayonet are all "centerpiece" relics. Are your stream bottoms rocky, clay, or sand? The little water hunting that I have done has been in very rocky stream beds and I found it very difficult to retrieve the targets.

P.S. You may want to re-evaluate your 1800s pocket knife. That is a colonial "clasp" knife if I ever saw one!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible finds! Such great history to go behind each and every relic! Great job on the research and Congrats on all the great saves!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Epic. Congratulations to both of you. I trust Beau shot lots of video we can all look forward to?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Dan,

Congrats on the plate, and the sword part.
Doesn't look a thing like the re-pro posted recently, with two days worth of rust on it, many thought / think that one was "real".

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Killer hunt Dan. The sword guard is an awesome piece, congrats!. Banner vote from me, swords are rarely dug. Is it possible the pocket knife is a straight razor with the opening mechanism gone? Great finds.
-Evan

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, great pictures, nice spot for a campfire. The six-button-find really stands out in my mind. Pocket knives are always a cool find.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt Dan. The sword guard is an awesome piece, congrats!. Banner vote from me, swords are rarely dug. Is it possible the pocket knife is a straight razor with the opening mechanism gone? Great finds.
-Evan

It does have a straight razor look to it ?

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Dan,

Congrats on the plate, and the sword part.
Doesn't look a thing like the re-pro posted recently, with two days worth of rust on it, many thought / think that one was "real".

Thanks Rick... I missed that one, will have to go back looking for it.

Steve, you are `100% correct on the knife...I have seen that style from the 1700s-early 1800s. The buttons I found there were all early 1800s...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions