BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
We discovered opals on our recent camping trip. Here is a photo of one specimen; mainly beautiful lavenders and yellows.
We found bags and bags of opals! One of the bags ripped open on the way home and there were hundreds of opals floating around the back of the van....never thought I'd have THAT problem!

Specimen below is Approx. 1,500 ct.

125_3136.JPG

125_2211.JPG

125_2222.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 11

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse me for asking; but since opals are what I work with, (cutting, shaping and polishing), I feel the need to ask: Do you intend to sell any of them? I've just about run out, and after getting screwed on an ebay purchase, I no longer trust opal sellers there. Since I have to exist on a meager Social Security check, I can't afford a lot of being screwed. (lol)

Great find(s). Sure wish it had been me. (lol)

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont want to rain on your parade, but that 20 lb specimen looks like plain old quartz, dis you do a specific gravity test to come to the conclusion of opals, anyways if those are opals i have a place where you can fill dump,trucks with rocks like the 20 pound specimen, still nice finds. GL and HH.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really nice opals, I 've always wanted to do some gem stone hunting but I wouldn't have the first clue what to look for and would pass up on anything that didn't look like a cut and polished stone. Thanks for showing them and I hope they are worth a bucket load of dallors for you.
ZDD

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont want to rain on your parade, but that 20 lb specimen looks like plain old quartz, dis you do a specific gravity test to come to the conclusion of opals, anyways if those are opals i have a place where you can fill dump,trucks with rocks like the 20 pound specimen, still nice finds. GL and HH.

Sorry you can't see in the picture, but it is a huge chunk of petrified wood that has opalized. In fact, there is very little wood left. You can faintly see some of the individual growth rings that opalized in different shades of magenta/pink.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Excuse me for asking; but since opals are what I work with, (cutting, shaping and polishing), I feel the need to ask: Do you intend to sell any of them? I've just about run out, and after getting screwed on an ebay purchase, I no longer trust opal sellers there. Since I have to exist on a meager Social Security check, I can't afford a lot of being screwed. (lol)

Great find(s). Sure wish it had been me. (lol)

Hey Eagle, shoot me a PM and we'll talk!

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous. Are you in the US or Australia or elsewhere? Opals are my favorite stone

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

I know nothing about rocks, but slowly I will learn. I have a similar about 5 lb rock I found on my farm last year. I thought quartz, and posted a picture here - and it was identified as quartz.....

I'd certainly like to know more!

Quartz-1.JPG

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought I'd update this thread a bit!

The specimens my partner & I collected ended up being several different varieties of Opal. The main type we discovered were a variety of Opal called "Boulder Opal". We also found "Wood Opal", common "Milk Opal", "Crystal Opal" & opalized petrified wood. All of the specimens were mined from the Appalachian mountains and I have yet to find specimens of this variety from this area. The finds were analyzed and tested by a geologist and also tested for radiation and are not harmful like Hyalite Opal from this region. We are doing a little more research and testing and we will soon be offering specimens for sale. Thanks for looking! -Luke

Last edited:
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are close-ups of the 1,500 ct. specimen. I've been waiting to do these photos. They turned out nice, but the blue tones are actually lavender, not blue. The L.E.D. light changes it a bit.

125_2733.JPG

125_2738.JPG

125_2739.JPG

125_2756.JPG

125_2759.JPG

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Some Crystal Opal

Approx. 8 cts.
125_2806.JPG

Approx. 17 cts.
125_2795.JPG

Last edited:

TwoRivers

Oct 1, 2012
Northeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Minelab Sovreign XS

Minelab Excaliber 1000................Garrett Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know much about gems-stones.............Looks like you had a good time and some great finds!!

John in Va.

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
North Carolina Opal Specimen

125_3136.JPG

Last edited:

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those turned out great. How long did you tumble them?

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think we did those for about 48 hours dig kzoo.

Kingclean

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat stuff man. I am kind of obsessed with opal right now. I have found several places around here with common opal and some gorgeous opalized wood. Every time I find a big piece I always get it wet and look at it really closely hoping to find some precious opal on it. So far I havent. Did you scour your stuff looking for play of color on it too?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread