First Indian Head and as a bonus, its my oldest coin yet!

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Indian Head and as a bonus, it's my oldest coin yet!

Went driving around in the country looking for possible spots to hunt and came across an old cemetery that was established in 1817 and had a church on that site from 1831 to 1974. The place looked promising so I got out and did a few swings with the AT Pro. I didn't go around the grave stones, I did hit the area where it looked like the church sat.
I dug my first hole and after sticking the Profind down in there, I picked out an old nail. I decided to run the pinpointer over the dirt I had already removed from the hole and there it was...just sitting there looking at me. I picked it up and just glancing thought it was a wheatie...until I turned it over and seen what it was...1903 Indian Head cent!!! The first IH for me and hope to find many more!
There will definitely be more trips out to that cemetery!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

IH obverse.jpg
IH reverse.jpg

Upvote 7

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is a good method of cleaning it? Just soap and water and toothbrush?

If I think it's a keeper indian then I soak in peroxide for a couple hours and under magnification carefully scrap dirt with a toothpick. Then to olive oil for a day or so and repeat. Best way IMO. I can't prove it, but I think peroxide may have a hardening affect on the metal alloy. I have noticed it stabilizes some corrosion. Call me crazy please!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread