Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmm...good question. Looking at the plate I see that the holes are not exclusive to the middle, and perhaps the middle has not one but 3 holes? who the dude is I don't know, good luck.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a printer.

If that's some kind of a plate, which it may or may not be, it would be a letterpress plate or die of some sort. It could be used for embossing as well. It's hard to tell for sure what it is from the picture.

If it's lead, the holes could have been punched out simply to re use the lead for something else. Lead can be easily melted down and recycled and it used to be done all of the time. It wasn't unusual to bust up and melt down old stuff to make new.

I work with some people who would know better than me because I'm not a letterpress guy. I'm an offset guy. It's a completely different process but we do still use letterpress where I work, but only for die cutting, embossing, foil stamping and scoring. Our operator has been doing this a very long time though and he would know. I'll try and have him take a look.

He doesn't come in every day so I can't say when. In the meantime maybe someone else knows.

How big is it??

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He looks familiar. Maybe Houdini or Coolidge.

Last edited:

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe spock off star trek? Haha

Last edited:

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be canceled plate. would be interesting to know who the subject was. Really cool find.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the back side blown out? It does look like a nice 3 shot group.Those were usually attached to a wood block. I have a box of them somewhere.

themark1

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not able to find this person face, so can't say anything about who is he.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the back side blown out? It does look like a nice 3 shot group.Those were usually attached to a wood block. I have a box of them somewhere.

i think you may be onto something.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still can't tell, but the little group of letters on the bottom looks like it could be what's known as a "union bug". It's a type of logo that union printers put on everything they print to basically protect themselves. It's a type of trademark. It's usually much smaller than the one on your piece but apparently in those days they were a bit bigger. They're often so tiny that they're very easy to miss.

If you get caught copying and/or printing a union bug that you have no business printing, you can get in huge trouble and be forced to pay massive fines; sometimes over 100 grand or even more. People have been put out of business for printing them. the unions can be ruthless when it comes to protecting themselves.

I still can't see what those letters are from the pic but if that's a union bug, which it really looks like and you can track down what union it belongs to, you may get your answer. Keep in mind that it may not exist anymore but then again, it might. Someone out there may still know.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, I looked again and the above poster, Etex is probably correct. It does look like "IPEU" which as he said, stands for International Photo Engravers Union.

Here's a link to a Wiki page about them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Photo-Engravers_Union_of_North_America

There's a pic of your union bug when you scroll down to the bottom of the Wiki page. It has the local # 419.

They were founded in 1904 and represented half tone photo engravers. Half tones are are photographs and other images reproduced by the method of using many small dots to form a picture. The method is still used today but not by engraving (except for cash mostly). I took a closer look and I can see the dots making up the image. It's definitely printing related.

It looks like you have what's left of a half tone plate. Whether it was used or not is hard to tell. It may have been a bad plate or it may have been used, possibly recycled and/or possibly shot up by someone after the fact.

It may not be a plate but rather something related to the plate making process. I just don't know enough to say for sure.

Can you see any traces of ink on it?? Oil based ink can last a very long time. In those days they were using petroleum base, rather than the soy, vegetable and synthetic oils used in today's inks. You may find some on there is you look closely enough.

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like it might be Will Rogers. The holes may have been punched so it could not be reused.

Metal Militia

May 17, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 & Garrett Pro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like Bela Lugosi. Cool find :occasion14:8-)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Maybe.... I see 5 shots in plate if indeed your right. But the holes look so nicely cut not like a bullet holes.

Show the back side and a known coin for size reference.... Thanks.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like it might be Will Rogers. The holes may have been punched so it could not be reused.

That may be exactly right given the fact that the union bug is on there. They may have wanted to make sure it didn't fall into the hands of any competitors while still usable.

They may have done that to all of their plates before disposing of them.

Printing was one of the largest industries in the US (and the world) for a very long time and it's still huge, but far different given the new digital technology available. The competition has always been fierce. Destroying plates to protect business doesn't seem surprising to me in the least.

I believe the mystery is almost solved.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It actually does look like a young Will Rogers. Could be.
Then again it could be anyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread