Silver Quarter, Toasted LC & a Horseshoe!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I got back to the site for 3hrs today where I found the British Martingale & the Batwing Buckle ... actually I was about 300m to the west. :tongue3: Unfortunately, nothing quite as old or as interesting as my last couple of hunts here, but I did find a toasted George V LC, a 1943 George IV Silver Quarter. I also found a bunch of pennies under the tree in the pic all dating from 1941 - 1963 ... nothing newer! :icon_scratch: I think my favourite find had to be the horseshoe, I just love finding horseshoes! :laughing7: I have the 1953 - '63 pennies tumbling right now and will post a pic of them all cleaned up tomorrow morning! :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking and hope you all have a great Labour Day weekend,
Dave

PS. Also included is a pic of all the silvers I've found since June.

Attachments

• SDC19332.JPG
    SDC19332.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 118
  • SDC19336.JPG
    SDC19336.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 106
  • SDC19335.JPG
    SDC19335.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 111
  • SDC19334.JPG
    SDC19334.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 119
  • SDC19333.JPG
    SDC19333.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 117
  • SDC19344.JPG
    SDC19344.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 110
  • SDC19343.JPG
    SDC19343.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 118
  • SDC19342.JPG
    SDC19342.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 108
  • SDC19348.JPG
    SDC19348.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 107
  • SDC19351.JPG
    SDC19351.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 109
  • SDC19356.JPG
    SDC19356.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 79
  • SDC19359.JPG
    SDC19359.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 9

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score on the silvers and horseshoe! That is one ugly LC lol. Our Canadian soil is so harsh in the coppers. Well done sir

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds. I tumble my wheat pennies in white vinegar with a sprinkle of salt and they come out quite nice.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dave nice score on the silver. It's a shame how our soil eats away on those large coppers.
ZDD

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver score! I like finding odd things now and then starts the "I wonder how this got here?" Train of thought.
Did you find the rifle casing there too? I found one at a Jr high last week, and wondered how it got there.
Just don't tell Limitool you found a horse shoe he loves finding those, he has a ton of them! He he!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet silvers! Shame about the battered and deep fried large cent. Maybe that horseshoe will direct you to some more great finds!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty good amount of silver you have there. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it might be toasted really badly, but I would love to find it! awesome finds, great silver and you are having fun

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for sharing those pictures

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Dave. I think you said before, but do you just use sand for tumbling? I bought some of those little pyramid shaped polishing material and am not happy with it.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good score on the silvers and horseshoe! That is one ugly LC lol. Our Canadian soil is so harsh in the coppers. Well done sir

Thanks very much ACE! :thumbsup:
Funny thing is most of the LC's I find in Southern Ontario are always in decent shape, but the ones i find in the soils of Eastern Ontario are always toasty.
I like to call it 'the limestone' effect! :laughing7:
Dave

Beautiful silver & love the horseshoe! :occasion18::blob3::occasion18: Andi

Thanks for your post G! :icon_thumright:
I love finding horseshoes as well ... I must have 10 of them hanging in my workshop now! :laughing7:
Dave

Excellent finds. I tumble my wheat pennies in white vinegar with a sprinkle of salt and they come out quite nice.

Thanks for your advice on your 'tumbling solution' beez! :thumbsup:
I use aquarium gravel, 3 teaspoons of beach sand and a squirt of dishwasher detergent.
Best of luck to you,
Dave

Hey Dave nice score on the silver. It's a shame how our soil eats away on those large coppers.
ZDD

Yeah, this seems to be even more true for our LC's dated post-1902 when the copper composition was changed in our coin. :icon_scratch:
Best of luck to you Dave,
Dave

Nice silver score! I like finding odd things now and then starts the "I wonder how this got here?" Train of thought.
Did you find the rifle casing there too? I found one at a Jr high last week, and wondered how it got there.
Just don't tell Limitool you found a horse shoe he loves finding those, he has a ton of them! He he!

Thanks very much for your post BB! :thumbsup:
I found the 20+ bullet casings at a 1920 period park near where I live.
This park is located in Eastern Ontario in an area settled around 1790.
Dave

Sweet silvers! Shame about the battered and deep fried large cent. Maybe that horseshoe will direct you to some more great finds!

I always hope that whenever I dig a horseshoe on a site that it's an indicator of good things to come, but I'd be happy just to have dinner ready when I get home! :laughing7:
Dave

Pretty good amount of silver you have there. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thanks very much my friend! :icon_thumright:
The only place I find silver is in parks, but they're such a pain in the butt to detect because of all the darn pennies! :laughing7:
Finding a silver at a pre-1900 farm is like finding hens teeth!
Dave

it might be toasted really badly, but I would love to find it! awesome finds, great silver and you are having fun

Thanks for your post dirtlooter! :thumbsup:
I love finding old LC's too, thankfully here in Canada they were made until 1920.
I'll tell you though, I'd much rather find an IH then a CDN LC anyday! :laughing7:
Dave

Nice digs and thanks for sharing those pictures

Thanks for your post bud, as you can see I love to take pictures! :laughing7:
Dave

Nice finds Dave. I think you said before, but do you just use sand for tumbling? I bought some of those little pyramid shaped polishing material and am not happy with it.
Hi Dave! :hello:
I use a combination of 3/4" - 1" polished aquarium gravel, 3tsp of beach sand, a couple of squirts of dishsoap and very hot water.
I then let it tumble for 12hrs, rinse and repeat as needed. :thumbsup:
Dave

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those boils on that LC is such a shame, it is so hard to find the good ones that were protected somehow from corrosion. I love those silvers and your cleaned up pennies. I just found a 1982 canook penny last Monday in Oracoke NC in the Outer Banks in the yard of my week rental house. She was very far from home. I still get a kick out of pulling a horse shoe from the ground. I have about two horses that can be shod now!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those boils on that LC is such a shame, it is so hard to find the good ones that were protected somehow from corrosion. I love those silvers and your cleaned up pennies. I just found a 1982 canook penny last Monday in Oracoke NC in the Outer Banks in the yard of my week rental house. She was very far from home. I still get a kick out of pulling a horse shoe from the ground. I have about two horses that can be shod now!

Yeah, I've never seen anything quite like that before. I tried to pick one of the 'boils' off with my fingernail and part of the coin came away with it as well.
I know a lot of Canadians head to FL, NC & SC for holidays, a buddy of mine who lives in Toronto takes his trailer and kids to NC every summer.
Best of luck to you Treb,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread