Picked Clean...

FLATENPA

Jun 24, 2014
Western Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, AT Pro, CTX 3030, Sovereign Elite, Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went on Holiday this weekend to a place called Vilano Beach, Fl. It is a small beach by most standards but it is near St Augustine and one of the channels to the City. With that being said I was pumped. I brought my Excal II and the night I arrived I ran into a Deputy on the beach and asked if it is okay to MD he said sure to my hearts content in the In St John's County its okay.

A brisk walk back to my hotel room and I am on my way to the water low tide was just about to peak, this beach was a bit to rough for me it seems like it when from knee-hip deep to about my chest and the waves/swells were beating me up more than I care to be. So when for the wet sand and dry sand stuff.

It took me two days to finally stop digging the "nulls" (just because it was so close to St Augustine I did several), At first hunting in Pin Point but wasn't flipping the switch to disc was digging tent stakes I stopped at four, and at the end of the first day I got a solid hit next to the access road, no doubt it was there. In Disc mode it sounded low but higher than a crown cap. So after running back to the truck for my "gator" tool I got it out turned out to be a piece of steel the size of a number 10 envelope about 3/16 thick.. It is a rectangle no marking found on it yet it has sand and shells almost glued to it. Its just a "weird" place to find a scrap of steel.

I ended up with some clad coins the oldest 1983 nickel, a few quarters, dimes and Pennies. I am still looking for my first gold, I got a titanium ring
the ones that are about $75 new.

This beach was picked clean, aside from tent states. Only came across two aluminum pull tabs and too many crown caps.

Point of clarification the "wiggle test" is short deliberate strokes over the target and if the sound changes (tones) its a crown cap, if the tone remains steady then it is worth looking at.

I think the water would have been better but the waves and swells where kind of mean.

Hope everyone elses had a great week end too.

Upvote 3

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would definitely try to hit the water on a calmer day. preferably, right after Labor day. Maybe the rough water has kept other people from finding the goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread