Foundation hunt produces 2 great condition Large cents, and a few other relics.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was able to get out today for a foundation hunt with a couple friends. We hunted this foundation last year and my buddy FatTony315 found 2 large cents and a flying eagle cent here. I slowed my hunting way down today and was really listening for some good targets mixed in with the incredible amount of iron signals at this site. Literally every hole I dug had at least 2 nails in it with whatever else I was finding. I was happy with my E-trac today. Dug two large coppers that I really had to work for. I barely heard a little high chirp in between all the iron. First one turned out to be an 1850 braided hair variety. Looks like it will have a ton of detail after cleaning. The second one is a Matron Head variety and is an 1828. Also looks to have very good detail under the dirt. Both of the LCs were 5-6 inches deep and surrounded by iron.

018.JPG 019.JPG

020.JPG 021.JPG

Found some other nice relics at the site including a pocket knife.

026.JPG

A harmonica reed. I've found a ton of these over the years but never a round edged one like this before.

025.JPG

I'm not sure what this is so any help would be appreciated.

012.JPG 013.JPG

Five buttons came up, including a small cuff sized two piece with an eagle on it. Any ideas as to age on this one? Military related?

023.JPG 022.JPG

Suspender buckle.

027.JPG

An interesting piece of a buckle with a cool design on it.... almost looks like an alien head on it. :laughing7: See what you think.

015.JPG 016.JPG

Here's a few compilation pics.

008.JPG 014.JPG
010.JPG 011.JPG

Upvote 12

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the alien head!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking largies and

Yes that's one of those little green men extraterrestrial buckles :alien:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice pair of Large Cents and the escutcheon plate is a sweet relic.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your mystery item is a Musket brass escutcheon plate , possibly military
Thanks a lot for the ID. I was pretty sure I saw one of those posted on here in the past and I was thinking it was a piece of a musket when I found it, but not sure enough to ID it as such in my post.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great hunt bro! Your LCs look to be in fantastic condition. Don't let em get the dreaded dried out peel syndrome. I love those hunts with a bit of everything and for me personally finding one coin makes a hunt feel complete. Finding two.....well now your just spoiled :-)
I know what you mean. I was happy with the first one and then the second one popped out. The large cents my buddy found at this site last year were in similar condition. Now I'll probably get skunked the next few times out. That's how it usually works for me...:laughing7:

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome hunt. .I missed this post..
Dont you love when u slow down and let the detector do the work..Some days I rush through and dont find anything. .
To much coffee. .lol
And then other days its slow and low.Thats when I find stuff...Think I would learn by now?? Thanks for sharing. .
George
Slowing down at an old site , especially one as loaded with iron like this one, is extremely important. I'm guilty of rushing a bit sometimes as well. I have to sometimes consciously tell myself "slow down, the relics will still be there when you get to them". :laughing7:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You Arrr In The Money! TREASURE!
Great Finds!
Is this a normal haul?!
THE Place to hunt!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Arrr In The Money! TREASURE!
Great Finds!
Is this a normal haul?!
THE Place to hunt!
I'd say about 1 out of every 8 or 10 of my hunts turns out similar to this... I get skunked quite a bit too. It's all about being in the right place at the right time. The condition of the coppers is a bit of an anomaly for me. Most of the ones I've found in the past are pretty corroded without much detail.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say about 1 out of every 8 or 10 of my hunts turns out similar to this... I get skunked quite a bit too. It's all about being in the right place at the right time. The condition of the coppers is a bit of an anomaly for me. Most of the ones I've found in the past are pretty corroded without much detail.
It's certainly a mystery. 2 of my nicest condition old coppers have come from the edge of salt water areas. Another time I dug two KGs in the same hole and one was gorgeous and the other not so much. I think lots of it has to do with fertilizers and drainage and perhaps the positioning of the coin. Those are 2 of the nicest dug LCs I've seen. So another big congrats on some spectacular condition coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread