Well, its about time!

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, it's about time!

That I found my first (relatively intact) pocket watch.
091814PocketWatch.jpg
It carries an unusual inscription..."MADE IN U.S.A" :laughing7:
Patent dates of 02, 03, and ? so early 20th century loss. Unfortunately could not find a manufacturer's name.

A little more unusual...
091814MilitaryMedalF.jpg 091814MilitaryMedalB.jpg

This military medal displays a date of 1775 and indicates "For Military Achievement" on the back. Otherwise no name or other identifying marks. The design includes a couple of older design cannons...but I am highly skeptical that this is a revolutionary era medal. Not likely in Michigan. Before I noticed the date I thought maybe mid 1800s because the design reminds me of some store card designs. Maybe it's a commemorative of some kind...or a reproduction?:dontknow: If anyone has run across similar medals and can clue me in to it's origin, I would greatly appreciate it.

091814Finds.jpg

Today's finds...quarter for reference...

Pocket Watch
Antique Military Medal?
1901 Indian Head Penny
(2) Wheatbacks 1944, 1944-D

PBS

Upvote 11

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is a Army acheesement medal--I mean Army Achievement medal. Probably not too old. They still look like that.

You can run the serial number on the movement online and find out the make of the watch. Sometimes there is silver in them. I've only found one silver watch case, and it was a surface find in the woods when I was 13. All the ones I've found detecting were plated or junk.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The medal is the Army Achievement Medal, they are given out to non combat personnel for distinguished or meritorious service. That particular medal was first issued in 1981, and would have had a green and white striped ribbon. Cool find, I haven't dug a medal of any kind in a long time.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save congrats!

I didn't find the back to the watch I found, lawn mower beat me to it!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool finds, still looking for my 1st pocket watch, the medal is still a great find too

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is a Army acheesement medal--I mean Army Achievement medal. Probably not too old. They still look like that.

You can run the serial number on the movement online and find out the make of the watch. Sometimes there is silver in them. I've only found one silver watch case, and it was a surface find in the woods when I was 13. All the ones I've found detecting were plated or junk.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing the case is brass. May have found the front of the case at an earlier time. I will have to go back through my trash to see if I can find it. Get a lot of whatsits.

PBS

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are fun to find, I like the metal award.

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The medal is the Army Achievement Medal, they are given out to non combat personnel for distinguished or meritorious service. That particular medal was first issued in 1981, and would have had a green and white striped ribbon. Cool find, I haven't dug a medal of any kind in a long time.

Yes. Definitely the Army Achievement Medal after googling it. I would've guessed it was older. But it makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

PBS

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul!!! I'm digging the meadal! Where you using the at or the etrak? Well done either way!

AT Pro in the flattened dirt piles at the tear-out.

PBS

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on digging your first pocket watch. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread