Anybody collect these things anymore?

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing some digging in my storage space and stumbled upon boxes and boxes of my old baseball, Football, Basketball cards..I have really old cards from the 20 ' s to the 70's that Beckett has listed as valuable in a safety deposit box. I know that since the Chinese began counterfeiting these cards, the market dropped. .I am debating selling a lot of them at an upcoming garage sale. .keep or sell?
Some I am holding on to
20140920_212024.jpg
20140920_212112.jpg
20140920_212047.jpg
20140920_212144.jpg

Upvote 1

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garage sale generally "reeks" of cheap - people want stuff for 50 cents to five dollars - your early cards might be a lot better than that .
do some online research and travel to some "brick and mortar" shops that deal in coins and stamps , many of them also have expertise in
sports cards s well .

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older cards (Dimaggio, mantle, mays, etc. ) are not being sold, just the common cards from the 70's on. Most of the card shops in this area have closed up shop due to the counterfeits that were produced. I used to collect cards big time when I was much younger..I lost interest

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Put an add up someplace,trade them for silver.It might take a little time but you had them this long a little longer wont kill you.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put an add up someplace,trade them for silver.It might take a little time but you had them this long a little longer wont kill you.

That is an excellent idea.
Good thinkin'.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check eBay. People buy that stuff for good money. Worth spending a bit of time researching.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good idea, barter instead of sell.

You got it:icon_thumright:.You'll most likely get a better bargain trading than selling than you would selling and then buying what you need or want.As an added bonus you kill two birds with one stone.Get rid of them and get what you want all at the same time.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1980's were so mass produced that they are mostly next to worthless. However, the 1970's commons as a lot might get you enough cash to make it worth eBaying. Divide them up by each year and sell them that way.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note too, the 1980's mass produced comment applies to baseball. Football, basketball and hockey cards from the 80's were not overly popular at the time and could easily bring a little cash themselves.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's too bad the bottom fell out of the market back in the late 90's. Value took a real hit. I dig mine out too every once in a while...still a market out there for high grade cards with high collectibility.

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a doubt my 1938 Gaudey Dimaggio and 1951 Bowman Ted Williams will fetch a pretty penny. Not counting the error cards like the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken card for which I have two.

sandman03

Apr 14, 2013
treasurecoast fl
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anybody looking to sell a honus Wagner? couple kids were playing about 15 years ago outWest in Okeechobee, old wooden barn collapsed had a bunch of trash in it they found a coffee can, sure enough a Honus Wagner card still wrapped, think they got a little over a million! apparently they used to put the cards in the coffee cans

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anybody looking to sell a honus Wagner? couple kids were playing about 15 years ago outWest in Okeechobee, old wooden barn collapsed had a bunch of trash in it they found a coffee can, sure enough a Honus Wagner card still wrapped, think they got a little over a million! apparently they used to put the cards in the coffee cans
Talk about a banner find..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread