HUGE SILVER SCORE, A PILE OF SILVER HALF DOLLARS IN THE SUPERMARKET CASHIER TRAY!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went metal detecting, and stepped on a yellow jacket's nest, and end up getting a sting to the leg. I then go to the Supermarket, and a woman was putting coins in the self checkout station. I noticed a silver edge in the quarter section. I told her I collect coins, and I'm wondering if I can buy that quarter with the silver edge, sure enough she said yes, and it was a 1964 silver quarter. Than she says that the tray at the service desk is full of silver dollars, and that I could buy them. I figured that she might have an Ike dollar or two, but I figured it was worth checking. She then said some of them are worn, but they are from around the 1930's, at that point I'm thinking maybe there might be something there, maybe a piece dollar which would be incredible. Finally she pull out the tray and I feel like I might have a heart-attack, the tray was overflowing with walking liberty half dollars. She asked how many I would like, I quickly said, "I'll buy them all." She said OK, but she warned me that some of them are pretty worn. She took them all out, and put them in piles of two, the grand total, 16 dollars. I had no cash on me, and she said no credit cards, so I got $20 from the ATM, which was only 20 feet away from the tray. Than she hands the 90% 32 walking liberty half dollar to me, plus the four dollars in change, and I run to the car with them, clumsily dropping all of them on the pavement, but I picked all of them up, and made it home.

The dates are:

1917p X2
1934p
1934s
1935p X2
1936P
1936d
1937p X2
1938p
1939p X2
1940p X2
1941p X2
1941s
1942p X2
1942s
1943p
1943s
1944p X2
1944d
1945p
1945s
1946p X2
1947p X2

and finally my 1964p quarter.

20140921_183433.jpg 20140921_183557.jpg 20140921_184535(0).jpg 20140921_184121.jpg 20140921_183850.jpg 20140921_182941.jpg 20140921_183359.jpg 20140921_183856.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 41

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a wonderful haul! I don't have the luck to have something like that happen to me. Right place, right time for you my friend.

schwabie16

Dec 11, 2013
Reynoldsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT was a hell of a find! Great job! You probably made over $200 easy with silver and numismatic value!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing score. Big congrats.

I've made friends with a young lady who is scouting the Coin Star machine for me daily.

Nothing's showed up yet but it will.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE BEEN ON BOTH SIDES OF THAT STORY, WITH 1935F ONE DOLLAR SILVER CERTIFICATES. I WAS GIVEN TWELVE OF THE THEM BY MY BOSS TO PICK UP SOMETHING FOR WORK. I NOTICED THAT THEY WERE VERY HARD TO SEPARATE AND THAT THEY HAD CONSECUTIVE NUMBERS. WHEN I WAS DONE PICKING UP WHAT EVER IT WAS THAT SHE SENT ME FOR, I NOTICED THAT THE ONE BILL THAT I HAD LEFT WAS A SILVER CERTIFICATE. I WAS NOT INTO TREASURE HUNTING AT THAT POINT IN MY LIFE, (40 YEARS AGO) SO I FOLDED IT IN HALF AND STUCK IT IN MY POCKET. WHEN I GAVE HER THE CHANGE I REACHED BACK INTO THAT SAME POCKET AND PULLED OUT THE ONE OTHER BILL FOR HER CHANGE. NO BAD INTENT... I ASKED MY MOM IF SHE KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT THE BILL AND SHE SAID PUT IT IN AN ENVELOPE, IT MIGHT BE WORTH SOMETHING SOME DAY. IT IS STILL IN THAT SAME ENVELOPE TODAY.

AS FOR THE COINS... IF THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN FOUND IN A COIN ROLL FROM THE BANK, NO ONE WOULD HAVE HAD ANYTHING NEGATIVE TO SAY.

EVEN THE BOATMAN DESERVES HIS TWO COINS.

#/;0)~

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
My son is a store manager and has accumulated at least 35 silver dollars and 20 some silver halves over the years. As long as the store makes there honest earnings thru legal tender payment I see no one being taken advantage of or no problem in adding these finds to your collecrion.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's awesome, I love them walkers!

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have given her more for the coins. You knew those coins were worth a lot more so you took advantage. All for a little profit.

Being at a super market I'm sure they couldn't take more than face value for them...
Instead of a rude comment, maybe suggest he pays it forward and buys her a coffee or something lol

i agree. HE SCORED! Let us rejoice instead of being Crappy. lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be kidding - right? This was an employee of the store and had no ownership of the coins. She would only be able to accept face value in exchange for them. Why not just congratulate this guy and be happy for him. I for one am glad he was in the right place at the right time. As someone else suggested he might offer to give her a gift card to Starbucks.

Like ' Hey Cashier ,here's a gift card for being so Ignorant.' LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody know where I can find a yellow jacket's nest? :tongue3:

For Real...

Their harder to find than Merc's around here , These Days
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son is a store manager and has accumulated at least 35 silver dollars and 20 some silver halves over the years. As long as the store makes there honest earnings thru legal tender payment I see no one being taken advantage of or no problem in adding these finds to your collecrion.

Yea-Yea.
Rayray, You know it..

Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO

The Stars line up just right for you.

For those coins to get through all the barriers , 'people in the Know' to get into your hands.

It would Suck if it was Stolen $ tho. but It's NOT your Fault.

Im guessing that the lady who had the Quarter was the one who cashed in the Halves cause the Self CH would not take them.

If that was all the $ she had for food I kinda feel sorry for her
but
Like they say " Knowledge Is Power"

Great Score !!!!

Davers

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice eyeball score! What kind of store puts silver in their trays!? If it was a small ty I me mom & pop store I could see offering more but otherwise...I wouldn't worry about that!

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
IMO

The Stars line up just right for you.

For those coins to get through all the barriers , 'people in the Know' to get into your hands.

It would Suck if it was Stolen $ tho. but It's NOT your Fault.

Im guessing that the lady who had the Quarter was the one who cashed in the Halves cause the Self CH would not take them.

If that was all the $ she had for food I kinda feel sorry for her
but
Like they say " Knowledge Is Power"

Great Score !!!!

Davers

Davers, your comment has made more sense than all I have read. We can all feel sympathy for im sure most of us have been thru hard times and had to make sacrifices on things we wish we didnt have to with that said whoevers choice it was to use these had good reason now in different circumstances and in somethimg more personal than a large corporate location I know alot of us would feel more apt to share our knowledge. Like you said. "Knowledge is power" Now just go pay it forward somewhere else for good fortune blessing you.

Last edited:

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have given her more for the coins. You knew those coins were worth a lot more so you took advantage. All for a little profit.

Good luck to you

-Happy Hunting!

tard comment level: over 9000. She could/would have been fired if she took a profit off those coins. It's a retail store, not a yard sale. :::facepalm:::

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread