First round ball at a rev war site! Also some whats its.

PalmettoJoel

Jan 4, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics 8000
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First round ball at a rev war site! Also some what's its.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
This is the third time that I hunted this field, but the first time I found anything better than clad! The musket ball was only two inches deep and rang up an 80 on my omega. I was ecstatic to see it roll out of the plug. I know it is tuff to label a round ball as rev war but I'm hunting next door to a historic battle site. That's good enough for me!
The second and third pic I believe to be the lid of a compact. I'm really not sure. Any ideas?
And the last two pics are some what's its I found in the same field.
I know one round ball isn't much but I'm super proud of it and can't wait to get back and find more!

Upvote 4

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like a musket ball, it has a seam in the middle, and a sprue (that knob on the top of it) which indicates that it was cast in a mold, like musket balls should be. On my detector musket balls show up as high zinc signal (78 on my Technetics T2 SE). I have found around 15 of them, and depending on where I find them, the patina may vary. Here are a few things that will help you ID a musket ball, a seam going fully around the musket ball, a sprue (The mound on the top of the musket ball) Note: the sprue will ALWAYS be connected to the seam. A musket ball would have to be pretty dense, and made out of lead (Which you can test by dropping it on a hard surface, and seeing if it makes a thump, or almost no noise, instead of a chime, lead will never make a chime, ding, or ringing noise. Also, the diameter has to be .69 cm, .75 cm.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Round balls were made in several different calibers.
They also differed between handguns and long muskets.. Sometimes there is also small buck shot balls associated with them that were part of a load called buck and ball.... Unless that was buried in an almost zero oxygen environment like deep mud I find it almost impossible that it's very old at all definitely not from the 17 hundreds.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20140922_174220.png
Out of curiosity if you have access to a fishing sinker of similar size try swinging your coil over it and see what reading you get I still don't understand why that would be reading like a copper penny to your machine.. Maybe if it was loaded with patina or something it would make more sense to me that the reading would change that much but clearly it's not and it was dug two inches below the surface

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PalmettoJoel

Jan 4, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics 8000
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll try a sinker tomorrow if my brother has one. I'm still unsure. Was sure it was a modern repop but now I'm hopeful again. My machine is the teknetics omega and is very similar to a t2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread