Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was able to get out and dig a few holes this weekend. The initial plan was to water hunt a river site at an old crossing where an 1818 Inn stands next to the river. However, my AT Gold went bonkers soon after entering the water. Thought at first the coil must have leaked, but it was still chattering wildly even after disconnecting the coil. With water hunting out of the question, I went to one of my old reliable colonial spots where they had just mowed the hay. Didn’t dig a whole lot of keepers, but I did get a 1785 half real. This makes 15 silver coins for me from this tavern site (13 Spanish, 1 Draped Bust dime, and 1 Capped Bust half dime). I have also dug 30 coppers here which is an incredible 2 to 1 copper to silver ratio.

I also dug an interesting whatzit pictured below. It looks to be about ¼ of whatever it was. I was thinking a large furniture escutcheon, but the rim is raised on both sides. My other thought is that it may be a piece of a sword guard, but I am only lukewarm on that idea.

Attachments

• 1.All.jpg
    1.All.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.Half real.jpg
    2.Half real.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 3.Half real on dirt.jpg
    3.Half real on dirt.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.Half real in dirt.jpg
    4.Half real in dirt.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 5.Tombac in dirt.jpg
    5.Tombac in dirt.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 131
  • 6.Whatzit front.jpg
    6.Whatzit front.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 7.Whatzit back.jpg
    7.Whatzit back.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 16

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. I like the Spanish silver. Wish I could find more of them out this way.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going on the silver Steve. I'm amazed at how many folks are finding places to hunt this time of year. Not the first field in my neck of the woods has been cut yet. And many are in soybeans and it'll still be 6 weeks or more before they get cut. BTW - that mystery piece looks like it could possibly be part of a colonial sword hilt. Is it big enough to be from one of those?

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on the silver Steve. I'm amazed at how many folks are finding places to hunt this time of year. Not the first field in my neck of the woods has been cut yet. And many are in soybeans and it'll still be 6 weeks or more before they get cut. BTW - that mystery piece looks like it could possibly be part of a colonial sword hilt. Is it big enough to be from one of those?

Bill, that was one of my thoughts - sword guard or hilt. The piece I have is about 2.5 x 1.5 inches. It is fairly thick brass, about 1/8 inch thick in the thinnest areas. I wasn't able to find any other pieces. They must be too deep to reach. Hopefully they will plow this field someday.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Reale Steve. Glad to see that your wrists are well as proven by your recent finds. I hope you tear it up this fall. WTG & HH, Q.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on adding another Spanish silver to your totals. Sounds like you've pulled an incredible amount of coins from that site. Keep at it.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Steve, congrats on the silver. Sounds like a great spot and a nice one to have as a back up. Good luck with the coil.

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a great silver save there Steve !!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great finds, hope you get the Gold ironed out

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. I like the Spanish silver. Wish I could find more of them out this way.

I have noticed that you New England diggers seem to find a LOT more coppers than Spanish Silver. The Virginia diggers find a LOT more Spanish Silver than coppers. I would estimate that I find one Spanish silver for every five coppers. I have found 62 Spanish silvers over the years with 17 of them being cut pieces.

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds. Love seeing that silver in a clump!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds! My AT gold did the same, off for repair it goes.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed that you New England diggers seem to find a LOT more coppers than Spanish Silver. The Virginia diggers find a LOT more Spanish Silver than coppers. I would estimate that I find one Spanish silver for every five coppers. I have found 62 Spanish silvers over the years with 17 of them being cut pieces.

1 in 5 would be nice. I'm not sure how many coppers I have but I would guess 250 coppers to 1 Spanish silver. It's kinda neat to see how states or sections of the country were influenced by other countries.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
1 in 5 would be nice. I'm not sure how many coppers I have but I would guess 250 coppers to 1 Spanish silver. It's kinda neat to see how states or sections of the country were influenced by other countries.

Things are totally reversed down here in Tidewater Virginia. Over the last 15 years I've dug 169 colonial silver coins versus maybe 50-60 coppers. And about 1/2 of all the coppers are 1773 Va halfpennies. So that would put my overall ratio as being about 3 silvers for every copper. That sounds great, but I really enjoyed digging an unusual number and variety of early coppers last season, and hope that trend continues when the fields eventually become available in a few weeks..

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! My AT gold did the same, off for repair it goes.

I just got done playing with mine. Turned it on for the first time since Saturday and it was doing the same thing. Took the battery pack out, then put it back in and the problem is solved!

Last edited:

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You always seem to find the coolest stuff. Love it.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt Steve. That has been some productive site. 15 silver from one site is what I'd call "rich" The best site for old silver we ever came across had I think 6 or 7.

My copper to silver ratio is at least 5 to 1, and probably closer to 8 or 9 to 1.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread