🥇 BANNER 5 Minutes: 1700 Halfcrown! Plus Beach Silver

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife wanted to head out for a drive early this morning to look at the fall scenery, and the deal is I get a few minutes to detect while she listens to music. I noticed one of my beat sites was cut as I drove by, so I stopped to get a couple minutes in. Left the car, and made a beeline for the foundation in the center of the field. Within 5 minutes I hit a high 80s signal, popped it out expecting junk but I was pleasantly surprised! Once again the plough gave me some goodies from a beat spot. I was so happy with the find I decided to just move on and save the spot for patriot and I to hit later this fall. One target dug and it was 314 year old silver!
Then we stopped at a beach - and within fifteen minutes I popped out the 1945 silver dime and tiny sterling stamped butterfly. Turned out to be a nice drive!
IMG_4859.JPG
IMG_4860.JPG
IMG_4853.JPG

Upvote 45

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy mackerel!!! Incredible coin....WOW!!! My banner vote is in!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolute love these big silvers! Don't think i've ever seen a Half Crown on here.... Big congrats!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great way to start the fall season…rather something like that than the cannonballs I've been finding…Come to think about it your a french silver roll with your hugh one from the spring… You, romeo and lucky lee have the same horseshoe place in the same spot..

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how you do it.... that's most certainly not an easy one to find in our parts! (or anywhere else really)

Yeah we'll see what you saved for him. (the lead) :laughing7:

Congrats on the King William. Tremendous find! Yes, digging English silver in New England is highly unlikely.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible silver! That's a great find and I believe worthy of the Banner. I'd leave that horseshoe right where it is....regardless how uncomfortable it is :-)

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 MINUTES?!??!!?? I dug for 5 hours and today and have a gross of nails to show for it. CONGRATS!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
That is one AWESOME Silver find right there, that one is sure hard to beat, CONGRATS :thumbsup:

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, super finds. You gotta take the missus out for drives more often. What part of the country are you in?

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some awesome finds.
I love it when you find something cool immediately. It sets the tone for the whole hunt.
Congrats.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Hicks...that butterfly pin is awesome!!!
Haha, most days it would be my best find!

Talk about a "one and done" hunt

Just think what a hour could have landed you, nice old coin find, one of the best lately!
I'm sure there are more goodies around there, but I figured I didn't have to make the wife wait too long and that's always a good thing! :thumbsup: I'm sure Patriot and I will be there again soon.

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, one of these days that horseshoe is gonna fall out. I'm sure there's more early silver in those fields, that's 4 that's popped out since last fall. And hopefully a few military buttons!

That's a great way to start the fall season…rather something like that than the cannonballs I've been finding…Come to think about it your a french silver roll with your hugh one from the spring… You, romeo and lucky lee have the same horseshoe place in the same spot..

OP
OP
Hunthicks

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, it's always exciting seeing that big silver edge in the plug and it's definitely on my personal banner :laughing7:

Holy mackerel!!! Incredible coin....WOW!!! My banner vote is in!

Incredible silver! That's a great find and I believe worthy of the Banner. I'd leave that horseshoe right where it is....regardless how uncomfortable it is :-)

I'm voting banner, not something I'm ever likely to get.:occasion14:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Other than the two 1630s hammered half crowns my buddy and I recovered a few years ago here in Virginia, this is the only other one of that denomination I've seen on the forums. And yours is an early milled example which are extremely difficult to find here in North America due to English laws prohibiting the export of all but small quantities of this type coinage to the New World. In fact, out of the 170 colonial silver coins I've recovered, only 2 are British milled silver and one of those was a pewter counterfeit. So in my opinion this is indeed a rare and outstanding find. Nice going!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 minutes of good luck is sometimes better than hours of nose grinding hunting ! I hope you and your guest hunter have 5 more minutes of good luck on your return .Almost Never see any big old early English silver come out of the ground . They exported tons of coppers getting rid of a lot of counterfeits .I believe it was Illegal to export silver to the new world . Banner find ! MaineRelic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions