200 Year Old Silver and more silver, and more silver...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out diggin with Shanegalang and we had a long day out in the fields today. 12 hours total. Started off really slow, and then stayed really slow. He got a single flat button and I got a 44 cal. pistol bullet of some sort (ID help?)

HPIM4838.JPG

Then it started to blow up a storm and Shanegalang decided to call it quits and head home. I told him that I was going to get the site to give me something good before I left. He said good luck and drove off. As it so happened, I got into a nice little patch of finds. First thing I dug was a coin silver monogrammed spoon! 8-) This was totally twisted up like a piece of copper wire. I straightened it carefully with a lot of effort using a C-clamp (my preferred method of straightening plough-bent silver coins too). I didn't take a before photo, but you can see the spoon in the video about 40 seconds in...

Then the next target I dug was a great pocket watch winder (Federal era):

HPIM4839.JPG

Then I got a pack rivet signal. These always sound like zinc cents, and read 60-64. Well, when I dug the target, a silver coin flopped out of the hole!

182_0845.JPG 182_0847.JPG

It was an 1814 half real in great shape! Nothing like 200 year old silver to break the drought! Feeling satisfied, I turned around to head home and save the hot spot for our next hunt. Immediately I dug two nice musketballs and a heel plate piece. Then I got a signal that read nicely in the 50s, which is usually a button. I was surprised when yet another silver was visible in the dirt! This was a worn, holed, New Orleans minted half dime!

182_0850.JPG 182_0854.JPG

Here's a nice green cupboard key I dug, along with a closeup of the initial on the spoon handle. Anyone able to identify the initial(s)?

HPIM4840.JPG HPIM4841.JPG

The half dime had some awful fertilizer corrosion on the face of it, but I was able to get most of it off without harming the coin, using the aluminum foil and baking soda "weak electrolysis" method to bind the silver sulfide and remove it from the coin.

HPIM4832.JPG HPIM4836.JPG HPIM4837.JPG

And here's the 1814 half real and a photo of all the finds with the straightened coin silver spoon. The half real is exactly 200 years old. :) Great to get another Spanish/Mexican Silver for the totals for 2014!

HPIM4834.JPG HPIM4835.JPG HPIM4844.JPG

Happy Hunting All!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 26

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Blood Sucking B@#%@&*# from H-LL!!!"
LMAO!!! :laughing7:
AWESOME hunt Will. Way to keep on keeping on. Congrats on that sweet old cane SILVER. :thumbsup:
Those fields have been great to you and the rest of the Cane Crew.
Thanks for shooting the video even though you had to give up a pint of blood. :occasion14:
-DUG-

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep on rolling....:occasion14:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Blood Sucking B@#%@&*# from H-LL!!!"
LMAO!!! :laughing7:
AWESOME hunt Will. Way to keep on keeping on. Congrats on that sweet old cane SILVER. :thumbsup:
Those fields have been great to you and the rest of the Cane Crew.
Thanks for shooting the video even though you had to give up a pint of blood. :occasion14:
-DUG-

I knew you'd appreciate that. Sometimes my language gets the best of me, like when there's a really unusual/incredible find, or when I'm being eaten alive! :D

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There we go, the silver roll again…love your post!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're having a good season! Congrats on the silver! Looking forward to your next great hunt!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big hunt there for sure! Never can find that much time for a hunt here. Hope to find some silver like that someday =)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There we go, the silver roll again…love your post!

Thanks friend~! Best Wishes to you on your hunts this fall. I love reading about what you all find up there!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: I think I know who the silver spoon belonged to. Does anyone see "EP" in the monogram on the spoon handle?

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! Neat Finds!! CONGRATS!! Super Coin!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Will, I know you have had limited time to hunt lately but you have made the best of the opportunities you have had. I can't believe Shane was scared of a little storm-LOL. That is one of the most ornate PW winders I have ever seen (got your VMs).
It is amazing the number of dropped OLD silver coins that you guys find in the fields. especially considering you are not necessarily hunting old home sites. What is the Canefield Bandit silver count for 2014 to date? HH, Q.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Those are some really nice finds. I love finding seated coins and seeing them found.
Congrats
D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will, I know you have had limited time to hunt lately but you have made the best of the opportunities you have had. I can't believe Shane was scared of a little storm-LOL. That is one of the most ornate PW winders I have ever seen (got your VMs).
It is amazing the number of dropped OLD silver coins that you guys find in the fields. especially considering you are not necessarily hunting old home sites. What is the Canefield Bandit silver count for 2014 to date? HH, Q.

We're probably up to close to 30 silver coins dug this year between all of us. The majority are Seated, and most of the rest are Reales.

Last year it was the other way around, out of around 40 total silver coins dug, and 27 of those being Reales, and 14 other silvers including mostly Seated, plus a Capped or two, and a couple Barbers. I'd say we average around 40 on silver coins each year.

We have been very low on our military buttons dug this year, compared to previous years. I know why that is--it's because we were hunting a newer site (1930-60) in January, and that site will be plowed this harvest so we'll be after it again, due to the large numbers of coins from that era, it's just too lucrative to ignore this fall... At any rate, I'm hoping that our military relic totals will pick up soon.

-Buck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread