🥇 BANNER Very Scarce MODEL 1839 MEXICAN WAR Officers Shoulder Belt Plate (Variant)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, this plate was quite a surprise!...I was recently digging an old Dragoons/Cavalry camp that served as an important post during the 1850's and the Civil War...I had a few Eagles in the pouch including some Eagle "D"s but hadn't dug anything a little while. I was going along and had just dug 3 crushed cans in the previous few minutes when I got another signal hitting exactly the same. I popped a plug out alittle quick and haphazardly expecting it to be another crushed flat can but when I popped the plug over something was thrown into the air and was flipping and then landed on the toe of my boot....when I looked down I had to take a double take as I saw 3 perfectly spaced hooks on the back of a rectangular plate....and when I turned it over I was quite surprised with an rare and beautiful plate....this plate is shown in photos as it was dug and is fully gilted though I have refrained from cleaning it other than dry brushing it to remove dirt and buildup. I will keep it in this condition with the patina out of preference as it has a pretty dusty red patina to it. If I were to clean it though, it has all the gilt underneath as well as the German Silvered Wreath and U.S. letters. Definitely one of the best surprise signals in quite sometime and a plate every bit as rare to dig and even more so in many cases, as a Confederate Plate. We see Confederate plates dug quite frequently but you don't see these plates dug very often....definitely one of the finest ive dug and certainly so for a U.S. plate.

Model 1839 Mexican War Plate.jpg Model 1839 Mexican War Plate 2.jpg Mexican War Plate.jpg Mexican war soldier.jpg
9256946795_fdb408c795_z.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 47

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantasic recovery and one I have never seen befor. Congrats on bringing home a truly Banner find.
ZDD

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The things that keep showing up here, boggles the brain. Awesome find!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an awesome belt plate. I've never seen one like it before. I think it would look great on the BANNER!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add my vote to the BANNER Wagon ! Not based on any knowledge I have about your beautiful buckle ,rather the overwhelming response
here on the part of those who do know the rarity of it ! Congratulations -( it's possible that yours is a first posted here ! )

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome save!!! Now thats something you dont see everyday. ..Banner find for sure. .
George

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
While I understand the perspective of "leaving a relic in dug condition" and how many collectors prefer that - I never do. I qualify that by saying that I've never found a CW buckle, but when I do, the dirt is coming off. I love the patina on relics and always try to leave that untouched as possible. But I want all the characteristics of the relic to show - not the mud. I can only imagine what all the old veterans would say about leaving the dirt on their buckles.

Regardless, that is a very nice save Sentinel.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Josh :notworthy: Well done on the Banner.:notworthy:

SS

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
wow! this is something i'll have to show to my Dad. (thats how freaking awesome that is ;) ) Major congrats.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on BANNER No. 12 Josh! :occasion14:
You certainly deserve it with that find my friend, great background history too!

Dave

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what it is all about right there…what a thrill, how many times I hear guys digging pop can after pop can and pull those type of beauties up…Well deserved, Congrats

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, if your afraid, I will clean it for you.:thumbsup:
Thanks my friend Cru. While I have no question about your abilities to clean up an artifact and have ample faith in it, I'm actually not afraid at all of cleaning it, just prefer it with the patina.

Last edited:
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I understand the perspective of "leaving a relic in dug condition" and how many collectors prefer that - I never do. I qualify that by saying that I've never found a CW buckle, but when I do, the dirt is coming off. I love the patina on relics and always try to leave that untouched as possible. But I want all the characteristics of the relic to show - not the mud. I can only imagine what all the old veterans would say about leaving the dirt on their buckles.

Regardless, that is a very nice save Sentinel.

Well thank you for the reply and just let me say that I'm very critical and particular about cleaning my finds. This plate has been thoroughly dry brushed and no longer has any "mud" on it but rather the original patina from the earth it was in. If I wanted a sterilized example I would simply go out and buy a non-dug example. When it comes to collectors and collecting, plates with a nice patina and that actually show signs of being used many times (though not always) adds to the value. There's been finds I've seen over the years where I've said, wow that should be cleaned...or WOW that was Way over-cleaned. This one has been cleaned of dirt and grime however I've not taken the dirt patina off and sterilized it with something such as lemon juice or oil that you would use on a much more common Civil War box plate or a button. There are several old veteran diggers out there that are very much against sterilizing a beltbuckle/plate, my grandfather was one of them but it really does come down to preference at the end of the day. I've been cleaning relics since I was a kid and there are times I do and don't...this is a case where I have, but limited. Thanks for the reply Richard and hope you and your family have been doing well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's beautiful! Good lesson on digging every target. Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread