Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a spot I go every once in awhile because it's so big you will always miss something and got a 1966 Canada silver dime and a 1860's Nova Scotia militia button. It's not in to bad of shape and complete but needs a bit of cleaning. It's a very old property so I'm sure I'll be back to try again! :)

image-3301556757.jpg

image-925924720.jpg

image-1428248767.jpg

image-262741294.jpg

image-1315309682.jpg

This is what it should look like...

image-38634152.jpg

Upvote 6

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one is in pretty good shape K.

I just got in from a long day, mostly scouting.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the button.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found one before didn't you??? :)

yes I have at least couple of those, Both sizes, but your is in better condition than any of mine.

I will PM you.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool button, nice silver button

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take it! It was a very interesting time in history with the American Civil War going on.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any tips on cleaning it up a little better or just leave it as is? The back is really thick crusted!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any tips on cleaning it up a little better or just leave it as is? The back is really thick crusted!

I wouldn't be too concerned about the back, and to remove most of the corrosion it would take something like lemon juice which usually does the job well, but for this one it would be very risky seeing there's some orange color.... which is a sign the button could react bad and get discolored before the cleaning would have the chance to work. That one I would likely leave as is.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't be too concerned about the back, and to remove most of the corrosion it would take something like lemon juice which usually does the job well, but for this one it would be very risky seeing there's some orange color.... which is a sign the button could react bad and get discolored before the cleaning would have the chance to work. That one I would likely leave as is.
Sounds good. I leave it alone. I know who the maker is anyway! Haha

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good. I leave it alone. I know who the maker is anyway! Haha

You'll probably turn another one up anyway. Ironhorse and I have found doubles of buttons at different sites that you'd never expect to see a 2nd... units that didn't even serve in Canada. That said, instead of another one of those, maybe dig an early NS button like we both have. :) (those ones were from the same site, and on the same day)

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll probably turn another one up anyway. Ironhorse and I have found doubles of buttons at different sites that you'd never expect to see a 2nd... units that didn't even serve in Canada. That said, instead of another one of those, maybe dig an early NS button like we both have. :) (those ones were from the same site, and on the same day)
I will for sure be looking. Haha
It's like when I found the giant flat dandy button and 15 minutes later got another identical one. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will for sure be looking. Haha
It's like when I found the giant flat dandy button and 15 minutes later got another identical one. :)

We were at what ended up being a new old site and Ironhorse dug his right away, and my reply to seeing that was ... I have to find one of those! Then maybe 30 minutes later I did. Lucky because I don't imagine there is too many here, and we haven't seen another pop up again. The next hunt I dug a nice little silver officer's NB 104th, and was happy with that as well.... and then the 3rd hunt I was with another friend and thinking it was hit pretty hard, and he walked away from the iron a bit and dug back to back beautiful large silver 104th coat buttons. And like the NS Regt. ones we never seen another found, although I have dug two pewter ones.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We were at what ended up being a new old site and Ironhorse dug his right away, and my reply to seeing that was ... I have to find one of those! Then maybe 30 minutes later I did. Lucky because I don't imagine there is too many here, and we haven't seen another pop up again. The next hunt I dug a nice little silver officer's NB 104th, and was happy with that as well.... and then the 3rd hunt I was with another friend and thinking it was hit pretty hard, and he walked away from the iron a bit and dug back to back beautiful large silver 104th coat buttons. And like the NS Regt. ones we never seen another found, although I have dug two pewter ones.
Do you have a photo handy? I'd really like to check them out and know what to look for! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• ns1.jpg
    ns1.jpg