Large Cent (Draped Bust) pocket spill!

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Large Cent (Draped Bust) pocket spill! (4 Coins)

I was headed to my usual MD spot this morning when I discovered that I had no access to it (multiple sporting events going on). I drove around for a bit until I remembered a wooded area I wanted to try. These were my first 3 signals, found within minutes of when I arrived. They look like Draped Bust cents but I haven't attempted any cleaning yet (I don't use chemicals, but I haven't even really brushed them off yet). Regardless of the dates, they're my oldest coin finds to date. Very excited to go back!

:headbang: Update: 4th DB found at this site! Picture added in post #42.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 250
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Upvote 20

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Still looking for my first.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
congrats on finding 3 very nice coppers. I know you said that you don't use chemicals but if all else fails trying the all natural approach hydrogen peroxide works as good as anything on crusty coppers. Several 5 minute soaks in hot peroxide with a tooth brush scrub under water between each soak and you will be surprised at the results.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow and amazing is all I can say!!

OP
OP
D

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little info about the site; I walked into the woods to the oldest-looking tree I could find, then set up my stuff, and bam, bam, bam-- three solid clean signals. I didn't think the tree was THAT old, but who knows (maybe coincidence the coins were there). Thanks again for the comments. Hard to believe I was bummed out at first for going to my alternate site (my new primary site now). :)

congrats on finding 3 very nice coppers. I know you said that you don't use chemicals but if all else fails trying the all natural approach hydrogen peroxide works as good as anything on crusty coppers. Several 5 minute soaks in hot peroxide with a tooth brush scrub under water between each soak and you will be surprised at the results.

I've always been concerned about screwing up coins if I were to clean them chemically. I've never done peroxide or olive oil on copper but I've heard some positive reports (but I imagine there could be problems too, right?). No going back if there's a weird reaction. Any one have any thoughts either way, pertaining to these coins?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that's something you don't see everyday!, congrats!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little info about the site; I walked into the woods to the oldest-looking tree I could find, then set up my stuff, and bam, bam, bam-- three solid clean signals. I didn't think the tree was THAT old, but who knows (maybe coincidence the coins were there). Thanks again for the comments. Hard to believe I was bummed out at first for going to my alternate site (my new primary site now). :)

I've always been concerned about screwing up coins if I were to clean them chemically. I've never done peroxide or olive oil on copper but I've heard some positive reports (but I imagine there could be problems too, right?). No going back if there's a weird reaction. Any one have any thoughts either way, pertaining to these coins?

Just remember...once done, it can't be undone. If the coins ARE solid, hp can be used with good results, but if they only appear to be solid, you're going to lose details you wish you could get back.

OP
OP
D

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just remember...once done, it can't be undone. If the coins ARE solid, hp can be used with good results, but if they only appear to be solid, you're going to lose details you wish you could get back.

Yeah, I won't roll the dice with peroxide. What about olive oil? I've heard good reports for use on crusty copper.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oil will turn your coins very dark. It will loosen some of the crud stuck to it....enough to pick it off with a toothpick again.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413684169.139944.jpg
The coin above was soaked and picked with a toothpick several times. You can see how dark it is.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413684367.942224.jpg
The DB above was before I gave it a HP bath and brushed with a soft toothbrush. The following is after the bath and then an oil soak.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413684531.349589.jpg
I didn't gain any detail and actually lost the contrast so it made it harder to see the bust.

OP
OP
D

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, that's pretty dramatic. I've always been a warm-water-and-toothbrush kind of guy when it comes to cleaning. I'll post updated pics if I can verify the other two dates. I'm going with 1803 on the macro pic I posted earlier (if anyone thinks that's incorrect, please share).

OP
OP
D

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The others cleaned up enough so far to confirm 1802 and another 1803.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 130

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's amazing, Gotta wonder how somebody dropped 3 coins that big :laughing9:. That site will defiantly have plenty of other finds for you to uncover, thanks for sharing.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on three great looking draped bust! Hit it hard, can't wait to see what else you get. HH!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one incredible find. Three at once?? Dang.
I'll be happy when I find one that I can read. The red clay in my area just destroys copper.

Congrats.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I'd be tearing that place up 24/7....OMG that's gonna produce a Banner find for sure. Keep at it! jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread