Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have a hard time saying this was a "bad" hunt

But, I'm pretty sure you guys understand my dilemma. ;)

Just another walk in the book. :dontknow:

I'll leave it to you.

2014 (822).jpg

2014 (823).jpg
Still listening closely! :dontknow:

2014 (824).jpg 2014 (828).jpg

I guess this passes for, "old". :dontknow:

2014 (825).jpg 2014 (827).jpg

Classic example of a new drop of an old coin.

2014 (826).jpg

'45

2014 (830).jpg
2014 (831).jpg
2014 (832).jpg

Then there was this thing. :dontknow:

2014 (829).jpg

I think Fishy & Blingie are a bit unsure too. LOL

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 10

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good call Dave. You got a lot of targets that can be spent, so how could that be bad? It sure beats rusty nails and plow points��

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Know how ya feel - but it aint bad! :icon_thumright: Could let Blingie & Fishy take over your detector for a few days while you loll about at home wondering what they'll bring back, lol.
Always love your posts! Andi

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Somebody dropped their lucky penny. Not a bad haul, nice mix of targets.Nickels are always a sweet sound that can turn to gold.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a bad hunt at all imo.
The question is, did you enjoy yourself and do you like at least one or two of your finds?? I would say the wheaties are cool. I haven't dug one in forever and would welcome one at this point.

When I started back in June, I was excited to dig up modern clad coins. Now, not so much.
Regardless, I always enjoy myself and ultimately, that's what it's all about. If it's not fun, what's the point??

Congrats on a good hunt.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started back in June, I was excited to dig up modern clad coins. Now, not so much.
Regardless, I always enjoy myself and ultimately, that's what it's all about. If it's not fun, what's the point??

I think I'm just getting plain ole lazy. Almost all the places I'm hunting anymore are either low percentage places for old coins or places that have been hunted to death. :dontknow:

If I would spend one tenth of the time I do on my walks to actually finding a new place to hunt. I just might find something older. So, right now, I really can't complain. But, it's just not as much fun. :dontknow:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets hope Blingie doesn't think the lighter sleeve is made of lizard skin!

Not a bad haul! Something old, something new, but old and lots of quarters! Did you check the buttons to see if they are silver? And you got in a good walk! Nice!

I will post my pathetic finds so we can all feel better! Lol!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'm just getting plain ole lazy. Almost all the places I'm hunting anymore are either low percentage places for old coins or places that have been hunted to death. :dontknow:

If I would spend one tenth of the time I do on my walks to actually finding a new place to hunt. I just might find something older. So, right now, I really can't complain. But, it's just not as much fun. :dontknow:

I can relate. Before my upgrade I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I was beginning to feel the same way at times. Luckily I've had a pretty good run lately re hunting a few of my old spots. One in particular I never would have considered had my son not suggested it, but it's turned out to be a great spot so far.

It's tough when you get in a rut or a drought but ultimately, it's a numbers game. Like so many other things in life, if you just show up you've already won at least half the battle. If you consistently hunt and dig the holes, you're bound to find something good sooner or later.

I personally need to find some old sites where I can hit on some old coins. I have yet to find a Barber anything, or a buffalo nickel, and haven't found any silver coins at all in a couple of months. I also have a few spots on my list that I just can't get into because the owners are either NEVER home or refuse to answer their phones. The one place I have in mind HAS to be holding silver and probably some rings and other jewelry. I know for a fact it's never been hunted because the owners are very private and allow NO ONE in.

It's a private swim club that closed down in the mid 60's and is only about a 40 minute drive away. It's been beckoning me since day one. But, after almost three months of trying, I have yet to speak to a single soul about getting permission. If I could talk to the people I know they'd let me in because they really liked my Dad and used to hire him to do carpentry work on a regular basis. There's still a dance hall standing to this day that my Dad laid the floor in.

But, cell phones and internet have changed the way people communicate and respond. I remember when people used to answer the phone and return their calls as a matter of being polite. Not so much anymore. I think most people who still have a land line turn the ringer off and ignore it. I'm thinking I'll write them a letter, mail it and see if they respond. I don't know what else to do.

But I've decided I'll spend this winter doing some serious research and lining up some "new/old" spots and be ready by early spring. That's the plan anyway.

But, really good finds seem to come in waves for me; feast or famine right?? What's cool is, just as you begin to get a little frustrated, you may be right on the verge of hitting something really nice, so don't give up now. You may just be on the verge of an incredible find. You'll never know until you dig those holes.

Soon enough you'll be putting something really nice up on the site regardless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate. Before my upgrade I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I was beginning to feel the same way at times.........so don't give up now. You may just be on the verge of an incredible find. You'll never know until you dig those holes.

Actually, at this point, giving up is just not an option. I'm too committed, (and probably should be :tongue3: ). Besides, I have very little else in my life these days.

I know what you mean about the "politeness" of communication these days. I only got into this millennium recently. When I start a "conversation" of texts back and forth and along the way I ask a question and an answer doesn't come for an hour or more. Well, it feels like the old trick with a landline of saying a few words and then laying the handset on the table and coming back to it now and then. Saying "Yeah" or "Ok" and then laying it back down without even listening for a reply. Seems, rude, to me.

I wouldn't dream of doing that in person! :)

Anyway, my frustration is solely with me. Not the hobby. I, (of ALL people), know very well that one only gets what they put into this hobby. Sure, some luck into things but to do this for the long haul, one does need to do some work to keep the potential up. Sadly, I'm afraid I've slipped into the lazy realm.

Jeff of Pa said it well. "We tend to keep being drawn back to spots where we've found something before." No matter how many times we go back there and nothing comes out, we're drawn to the spot.

We need to go to spots that are at least fresh to us. This will keep us searching like there's potential and thereby hunting more effectively. This will increase the finds and even cause a missed oldie to get uncovered. BUT, to do really well in this hobby, (defined as finding old coins). We absolutely MUST do the proper research! Just figure, 6 hours! Spent in a 1990's school yard, as opposed to a 1800's mansion!
Guess which one might produce. ;)

I know all this. After all, I've been doing this hobby, off and on, for almost half a century! Just gettin' a bit lazy in my old age. LOL

I'll find more goodies, this I have no doubt. Why? Because I'm not through looking. I just have to find where my "get up and go" got up and went to. :)

Thanks!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, at this point, giving up is just not an option. I'm too committed, (and probably should be :tongue3: ). Besides, I have very little else in my life these days.

I know what you mean about the "politeness" of communication these days. I only got into this millennium recently. When I start a "conversation" of texts back and forth and along the way I ask a question and an answer doesn't come for an hour or more. Well, it feels like the old trick with a landline of saying a few words and then laying the handset on the table and coming back to it now and then. Saying "Yeah" or "Ok" and then laying it back down without even listening for a reply. Seems, rude, to me.

I wouldn't dream of doing that in person! :)

Anyway, my frustration is solely with me. Not the hobby. I, (of ALL people), know very well that one only gets what they put into this hobby. Sure, some luck into things but to do this for the long haul, one does need to do some work to keep the potential up. Sadly, I'm afraid I've slipped into the lazy realm.

Jeff of Pa said it well. "We tend to keep being drawn back to spots where we've found something before." No matter how many times we go back there and nothing comes out, we're drawn to the spot.

We need to go to spots that are at least fresh to us. This will keep us searching like there's potential and thereby hunting more effectively. This will increase the finds and even cause a missed oldie to get uncovered. BUT, to do really well in this hobby, (defined as finding old coins). We absolutely MUST do the proper research! Just figure, 6 hours! Spent in a 1990's school yard, as opposed to a 1800's mansion!
Guess which one might produce. ;)

I know all this. After all, I've been doing this hobby, off and on, for almost half a century! Just gettin' a bit lazy in my old age. LOL

I'll find more goodies, this I have no doubt. Why? Because I'm not through looking. I just have to find where my "get up and go" got up and went to. :)

Thanks!

If you've been doing this for that long, I would have to agree that you're more than "committed". It just wouldn't be right to back out now after all you've invested. But realistically, I'm sure you'll be doing this as long as you're able. That's my plan as well because I truly enjoy this hobby even on "bad" days. Don't ask me why; I just thoroughly enjoy it.

I've only been at it seriously since June 21st of this year, although I did tinker with it for a while about 20 years ago with a REALLY cheap detector that produced almost nothing. You could find railroad spikes with it if you hunted along the tracks on a good day, like maybe if it was raining and the metal was wet. I did find a nice silver Merc that was maybe an inch down, which was a bona fide miracle with that machine. I still can't believe it actually happened after all of these years.

But I never lost interest and always planned to give it a go "some day". I had kids, a wife, a business, etc. There was just no time. Now I have nothing but time on my hands when I'm not working so I decided to pick it back up. I'm really happy that I did. I've always hunted for treasures in the woods and along the rivers and creeks, not to mention rock hounding. But this hobby gives you far more gratification much faster. Once in a while it can even put some cash in your pocket.

Like you, I need to do more serious research and it's true, I'm definitely drawn to places where I've found good stuff. But that's only logical. What are the odds that you got it all?? Maybe after 10 years you could but after a few months, I think it's worth having another look.

I've been fortunate lately because I have a better machine that's finding some stuff I missed at old spots (so far). But, I'm aware that this will only last for so long. So again, I believe that research is critical in order to keep this hobby going. I see places every day I intend to eventually knock on the door but with winter coming, I know I'll be slacking off for a few months because I hate cold weather.

I pass by one old house every day but haven't knocked on the door. Just today I drove by, and in the yard was one of the meanest lookin' women I've ever seen. Now, she may be a real sweetheart but she sure looked like the angry type to me. She gawked at me with a big frown as I drove by. Sheesh.
I'll knock one day but after seeing her for the first time, I don't have a great feeling about it. It looks like a great place to hunt though.

I was also thinking that by spring, some of those school fields should have some more goodies to dig up. So, if you stay away for a while, you're bound to find something later as long as people keep using the fields. There are many schools around to be hunted too.
I love old coins, but I have to admit, I really love finding gold and silver jewelry too. I would love to find a little platinum as well. (who wouldn't??)

Anyhow, I totally get where you're coming from. But I guess it all works out in the end right?? By the time spring comes you'll probably be all fired up again.

HH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions