cs12.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Just goes to show you how KOOKY some of those Road Show antiques
'apraisers' are - $4,500!! Perhaps if autographed! TOP dollar that I've
EVER seen on Ebay is under $1000, for mint 'like new' - and that's a fluke.
Unless the one pictured is made of silver... could be I suppose.

I've seen numerous items that I personally know the REAL value of (cuz
I own or have bought one) be estimated at insane prices on that show.
Just a way to make folks go 'wowwwwwww' and get ratings!!

Dave
Zommbee

corncrasher

Jan 14, 2005
Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX
I would have to agree with Zommbee on the show. I think they pull a lot of thier prices out of the air and don't really have a clue. I'm sure sometimes they are close but don't know how often.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yes it was brass & one of the cllips on the back was missing. I have several collectable items that I'd be really happy to sell at their prices. I like the show, but it sure makes it harder for guys like me that like to hobby deal in antiques, collectables & old guns a heck of a lot harder. People all think that everything is gold plated or something. Spotz

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Hey Spotz, i think you hit the nail right on the head, that show seems to give alot of people the idea that every little piece of junk in their attic is a priceless antique, i used to like going to yard sales, i don't even bother going to them much anymore, because if it's not the people having the yard sales asking such rediculous prices, it's the hundreds of 6:00 AM shoppers looking for the mona lisa in the yard sales. although i did find an old spinning wheel at one a couple of years ago for only $25.00, it sure made the mrs. happy :) .

Pat.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Actually my opinion is that their appraisals are from recent sales in a specific market. Obviously they sell to an overmoneyed crowd in areas where they don't see alot of these items. I used to deal in antique furniture which was abundant in the area I was in. If I had sold them at their auction houses in New York, I would have retired a long time ago! When I watch that show I usually find myself saying "I've got one of those you can have for half of that!" HH~CO2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread