Army Button, Oil Tanker, Coal Scrip, and a mystery item!

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out this evening and hunted somewhere new for a change. The lot once had a house that was demolished several years ago. The bedrock was visible in many places which I love because it means objects can't sink very far, because the rock keeps them from doing so. I ventured to the edge furthest from the road where the grass wasnt so high and noticed what appeared to be the concrete foundation of a small building, perhaps an old shed or garage. With daylight fading fast and rusty nails plaguing my enthusiasm, I got a few solid signals.

First, what I knew had to be a coin, ended up being my forth piece of coal scrip since I started this hobby in April. I'm not sure if it is a $1 or a 1 cent token as it doesnt seem to say. It came from Jenkins, KY, just across the border about 20 minutes from here. It also makes my 2nd Orco Consolidation Coal Company token so far.

20141020_015805.jpg

20141020_015816.jpg

Next , I got a large high ring that I figured was a pop can, but I dug it anyway. I saw the wheels poking out of the hole and I very delicately worked this red die cast Tootsie Toy oil tanker out of the dirt. I can't find much info on this model but I believe it is from the 70s, although one ebay listing said the 50s but I believe they may be wrong. This makes the first toy vehicle that I havent broken the wheels off of while recovering it. And that simple fact makes me want to believe it is older than 1970 as toys werent made so cheaply before then, but I really can't say.

20141020_015857.jpg

20141020_015850.jpg

Third, I dug what I initially thought was a very long bullet, but after shaking off the caked on dirt I instantly could see that it was not. I still have no idea what its purpose is or WHAT it is. Perhaps maybe a handle to something? It is textured similarly to a metal guitar knob and is heavy, hollow, and the small flared opening is threaded on the inside. I think it may be brass. Any ideas?? Because I am clueless!

20141020_020029.jpg

20141020_015916.jpg

Finally, before calling it a day, I swung around looking for one last good hit. I thought I had found another coin by the way my F2 was beeping but upon recovery it was a button. It looked like something off a pair of blue jeans so I wasnt too excited until I left the site and cleaned it up to reveal thirteen stars. Please correct me if I am wrong ( since I know very little about military stuff ) but I believe it is a 2 piece WWII era Army button. There is still a thin circumference of fabric between the pin and the face of the button so it must have been torn out. I can't pull the two pieces apart but I dont want to use force in fear of damaging it.

20141020_015730.jpg

20141020_015739.jpg

I swear I could metal detect all day every day if I didn't have to work! It would be terrific to retire at only 26! Thanks so much for checking out my finds for the day and good luck in your adventures!

Upvote 4

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whoa I really like that coal scrip, now that's a sweet find!! the stories that scrip can tell, poor sob lost that thing years ago worked his/her butt off for it, display it proudly!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the truck dates to about 1969-1971-ish. I had an identical one when I was a kid. The button is WW2 and was found on the Army HBT uniform (herringbone twill uniform). The other thing looks like a razor handle

OP
OP
frojones

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jewelerguy. It definitely is a razor handle! No doubt about it.

OP
OP
frojones

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I dig up coal scrip it amazes me. I couldnt have imagined what it was like back in the days when the coal mines really defined the way of living in Southwest VA. Scrip is one of my favorites to find.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As Jewelerguy indicated, your button is a US Army M-1941 coveralls "tack button" (also called a rivet-button), used on coveralls made of "Herring Bone Twill" (HBT) fabric. Here are a couple of photos, showing your button on the HBT coveralls, and showing the "construction" of the type of button you found.

Attachments

• button_rivet_ww2_coveralls_HBT_Suit_Special_button.jpg
    button_rivet_ww2_coveralls_HBT_Suit_Special_button.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 65
  • button_rivet-button_13-star_US-Army-coveralls_tack-M-1941_TN_postbyBigCypressHunter.jpg
    button_rivet-button_13-star_US-Army-coveralls_tack-M-1941_TN_postbyBigCypressHunter.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
frojones

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all the info CannonballGuy! This is the first piece of military history I've dug, so even though it isn't much, it's still exciting! You never know what you may find--even in small town Virginia!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds...congrats on some good digging.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Tootsie toy I believe is the 60s.

I found the back end of that exact one last weekend. Just the tank. Funny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread