And my CS oval "egg" buckle appears to have been worn by a oldier from ALABAMA!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And my CS oval "egg" buckle appears to have been worn by a soldier from ALABAMA!!!

Finally got back out to the site where I dug my CS oval buckle. Within 10 feet of the buckle I dug a coat button and a beautiful Isaacs and Campbell knapsack hook (my first). All together I dug 4 buttons, several musket balls, 2 Gardners, 1 Georgia Teat bullet, and 2 other confederate bullets not identified yet. I also dug 1 lone shot Sharps bullet. I also dug a scabbard tip that is made out of thick brass and has a lead filled point. This thing is HEAVY! I have no doubt this scabbard tip is Confederate. The button that I dug next to the CS "egg" oval buckle turned out to be a beautiful coat AVC with 90 percent gold gilt! Its a beauty!!! This was the first button I cleaned and I was hopeful I had another AVC as well. This was not the case and the other coat button which was extremely "puffy" turned out to be a coat Eagle "I" button. What a let down. But the first cuff button I cleaned turned out to be a Virginia!!! It was in pretty bad shape though and the front separated from the back as soon as I started cleaning it with a dry toothbrush. Again another letdown.
sad.gif
And the last cuff was another eagle cuff button. I have no doubt these eagle buttons were worn by Conferate soldiers. But all in all I am not complaining!
smiley.gif
The Virginia cuff was found almost 100 yards away from the buckle. I need to still explore this area better. I couldn't be happier with my coat AVC button and now I am pretty confident I am in a Alabama picket post or camp. I decided not to clean my CS buckle any more unless I get a professional to do it. This was sent to me today by a fellow relic hunter and restorer of relics........ "Fantastic to get it out of the ground and in such superb condition. You have heavy (and hard) calcium concretions residing on the surface not uncommon to damp, low lying peninsula areas. Stafford Va plates come out like this from the more swampy areas. The choice is to leave them as is or pick away at them over time. The problem is that you won't know the condition of the CS copper/brass under the stuff till some is removed. Sometimes it's ugly, other times pristine. I performed removal of this same stuff from a rope border CS some time ago and the results were astounding. It was 99% covered. The buildup was superficial and had preserved the plate like a d 1960s recovery. Now, removing it wasn't easy and had to be mechanical (vs chemical) and that is where you have to be very careful. I actually used a dremel for the first sessions then picked away carefully using whatever worked. Sometimes is flaked of in larger pieces but most of the time just required a sanding down and thru to the metal. Look forward to the progress and again, big time congrats. As others have said, cleaned or not, it's a beauty." So I will get a picture up tonight or tomorrow of the CS oval next to the Alabama button and Isaacs and Campbell knapsack hook. What a great 2 weeks of digging this has been for me! I couldn't be happier!!! HH Devonrex

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Upvote 11

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for providing those two very interesting pieces of information... your CS Oval buckle's military-unit provenance (apparently worn by an Alabama soldier), and the calcium-concretion explanation, with tips about whether (and how) to remove the concretion.

Again, congratulations on finding a spectacularly rare version of Confederate belt-buckle. It fully deserves Banner recognition.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. real nice items. That is the nicest AVC button I have seen dug in at least the last 10 years. it is a screamer. The AVC button is scarce and with the condition being so nice I think it too should be up on the banner. I will nominate it as such but I am sure it won't make it as buttons seem to be undervalued with the main stream t-net members. But congratulations anyway.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That button is as beautiful an example of historic military relic as any I have seen. Congrats on an outstanding site!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your whole package is of course, fantastic! The AVC is phenomenal.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow. real nice items. That is the nicest AVC button I have seen dug in at least the last 10 years. it is a screamer. The AVC button is scarce and with the condition being so nice I think it too should be up on the banner. I will nominate it as such but I am sure it won't make it as buttons seem to be undervalued with the main stream t-net members. But congratulations anyway.
Thanks Danimal, it is the best AVC button I have ever dug! And to find it next to my CS oval just adds icing to the cake!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, nice stuff!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's one great looking button, it's a keeper for sure. I would be torn on what to do with the buckle as one slip and the damage could turn into a blue aired moment. Congrats once again on the finds and the banner.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dag gone REX ,boy that buckle and the history behind it is neat, seems like you have a nice site in which to dig in,thats a heck of of grouping.Buckle is awesome and so is the button . I give you thumbs up toes up .vanzutphen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread