1600 BUCKLE FRAGS, MUSKET BALLS, PEWTER BUTTONS, PIPE STEMS, BAG SEALS...

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill D. and I went back to the site where he found the Lord Baltimore coin in hopes of finding another. The big green monster was planting wheat in another section of the farm when we got there so we decided to put in a full day knowing we wouldn't be able to get back in there for a while. It wasn't a super productive hunt for me but it was nice to get out and swing. I did find the customary lead balls and tacks as well as a few 1600s buckle pieces. The ground had been prepped for the wheat so I was able to eyeball a few early pipe stems including one from a locally made Chesapeake pipe. The pewter buttons have identical initials on them, Bill found a couple too, so they must have something to do with the early inhabitants. Not much but it was fun. Thanks for looking.

1414274614558.jpg 1414274661426.jpg
1414274504680.jpg 1414274559303.jpg

Attachments

• 1414274376332.jpg
    1414274376332.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Upvote 11

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those finds have old written all over them, nice assortment.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great grouping of finds sounds like you'll sleep well tonight.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That an excellent pile you have there. I would love to see one of those buckles in one piece and I bet you would too. Those buttons with the H are interesting. I found a large dandy button with an H on it near a old cellar hole in my backyard. Would be cool if you could find some info on the settlers and see if you could put a name to it.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That an excellent pile you have there. I would love to see one of those buckles in one piece and I bet you would too. Those buttons with the H are interesting. I found a large dandy button with an H on it near a old cellar hole in my backyard. Would be cool if you could find some info on the settlers and see if you could put a name to it.

Thanks Greylock. Those trapezoidal buckles are probably the most abundant buckles on 1600s sites around here so I have been able to find a few complete ones. The property was patented around the 1650s and based on the bore diameter of some of the pipe stems and the relative location of where those buttons were found, the initials probably belonged to the first land patentee. Now i just have to find out who that was especially for the provenance sake of Bill's Lord Baltimore coin.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found part of a pipe stem a few months ago, and when I cleaned the dirt out of the hole, both my gf and I could smell tobacco from it! Have you been able to do that?
That might not be a lot to you, but it looks like quite a nice hunt to me. You and Bill have some great old sites.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice pile of relics. That spot sounds pretty good. Keep hitting it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found part of a pipe stem a few months ago, and when I cleaned the dirt out of the hole, both my gf and I could smell tobacco from it! Have you been able to do that?
That might not be a lot to you, but it looks like quite a nice hunt to me. You and Bill have some great old sites.

That must have been some potent tobacco, lol. I'll have to try it next time.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pile of relics! Haven't had a day that productive in a while. Worth hitting again for sure. HH!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was another fun hunt Joey although that 2nd Lord Baltimore coin somehow eluded us. But we definitely had a great day for swinging. And it was a very fortuitous move on your part to take the day off or we would not have had the opportunity with the wheat going in. That's quite a pile of relics you dug. Seems like pewter buttons and early buckles were again common finds for both of us. As you know, I was hunting today too and have not had a chance to clean anything from yesterday. Tomorrow's going to be a full day too, so it might be Mon before I can post it up. Had a great time, and looking forward to doing it again soon. And let me know when you figure out what those "H" buttons are.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was another fun hunt Joey although that 2nd Lord Baltimore coin somehow eluded us. But we definitely had a great day for swinging. And it was a very fortuitous move on your part to take the day off or we would not have had the opportunity with the wheat going in. That's quite a pile of relics you dug. Seems like pewter buttons and early buckles were again common finds for both of us. As you know, I was hunting today too and have not had a chance to clean anything from yesterday. Tomorrow's going to be a full day too, so it might be Mon before I can post it up. Had a great time, and looking forward to doing it again soon. And let me know when you figure out what those "H" buttons are.

I hope you had a productive day today and I look forward to see your post(s).

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats alot of nice early stuff there!, great hunt

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that stuff just LOOKS old. I love it thanks for posting :)

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pile of relics! Haven't had a day that productive in a while. Worth hitting again for sure. HH!

There may be other house sites of various time periods on the property but they will have to wait until next year since wheat is being planted.

Hopefully you'll get into something productive soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread