"Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes?" - Indiana Jones

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
"Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes?" - Indiana Jones

I started the second of two historical society houses this morning before the weather got lousy again. They are interested in relics, and I appear to have found one, though I don't know how significant it is. This medical emblem appears to be made of brass/bronze and is quite heavy for its size. It does not appear to be an item that was worn on clothing. Any ideas? The nice ladies in the society may know of a doctor or something who once lived in the house.

Attachments

• moses (2).jpg
    moses (2).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,046
Upvote 0

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
Re: "Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes?" - Indiana Jones

dunno,, but way cool....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

Must have something to do with the medical field.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

It's symbol is a Winged Staff with Two Snakes Entwined about it. It became popular in America as a Medical Emblem in 1902, when the U.S. Army selected it as their Medical Symbol. The U.S. Army medical corps adopted the caduceus as their insignia because of its similarity to the staff carried by Asclepius, the god of medicine. The staff of Asclepius is considered the "true symbol of medicine" -- it features only one snake, and no wings. It's the emblem of the American Medical Association.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool find.
Congrats to you,
MM

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

gypsyheart said:
It's symbol is a Winged Staff with Two Snakes Entwined about it. It became popular in America as a Medical Emblem in 1902, when the U.S. Army selected it as their Medical Symbol. The U.S. Army medical corps adopted the caduceus as their insignia because of its similarity to the staff carried by Asclepius, the god of medicine. The staff of Asclepius is considered the "true symbol of medicine" -- it features only one snake, and no wings. It's the emblem of the American Medical Association.

So this piece is U.S.A. not A.M.A.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice...Halfdime!!!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Very cool I hope to make it with the local historical society soon. Thanks for the encouraging post.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius
the barber pole represents well........the barber were you used to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day to get a good old fashioned blood letting or a tooth pulled or a testicle removed
a jack of all trades ::)

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Whew! I wasn't going to open this, I HATE snakes! Really neat find, I'm sure your ladies will appreciate it.

B

BIG61AL

Could be part of a fancy desk set, pen holder, letter opener, desk display or something like that.

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE

That is a real cool relic. Like Indiana, I hate snakes too.
HH
Mark G

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

EDDEKALB said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius
the barber pole represents well........the barber were you used to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day to get a good old fashioned blood letting or a tooth pulled or a testicle removed
a jack of all trades ::)
Thanks for the link. Ouch, that would teach you for letting your hair get to long. Snip snip.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coolio...nice find!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Nick-
I was asked by the historical society to search the grounds around two old houses they own. I'm doing it for them, and I'm giving them anything of significance that I find. So far, it hasn't been much; a few coins, a few relics. I actually found an 1892 IH penny that's in better shape than the one I have for my son, but I'm giving it to the society. I want to find something really special, but I don't want to have the remorse involved in letting someone else keep it! At worst, this effort may lead to other places I can search, and it is making a contribution to the community, so I don't mind.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like fun, can I come?

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

halfdime said:
Nick-
I was asked by the historical society to search the grounds around two old houses they own. I'm doing it for them, and I'm giving them anything of significance that I find. So far, it hasn't been much; a few coins, a few relics. I actually found an 1892 IH penny that's in better shape than the one I have for my son, but I'm giving it to the society. I want to find something really special, but I don't want to have the remorse involved in letting someone else keep it! At worst, this effort may lead to other places I can search, and it is making a contribution to the community, so I don't mind.

Very good, halfdime. I do the same in my home town. When I hunt a historic site for a group, I always ask that a member go with me to see the things I uncover. There are several homes that have a special case showing the items uncovered on their grounds. It has given me the ability to hunt in areas that normally are off limits to everyone.
Keep up the good work!
DG.
;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread