May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD and Me

Six hours of steady swinging today at the nipple site, I call it that because I got a mid 17th C. nipple button there a couple of weeks ago.

Couldn't be more pleased with the results. Found a piece of an iron pot, and a lamp part, so if there was any kind of site there we were on it. Plus given the number of buttons, and a couple of coins.

I got a couple of firsts; (which is harder to do all the time, (after 7 years)) and makes it a good hunt.

1) french Liard either 1650's (edit, yes it's 1650's)or 1690's not sure just yet, but either way a major milestone copper for me. The first ever pos. IDable 1600's coin I've found, so am supper happy with that one. (that's one off the top ten list too)
2) a "french Marine" button, with the drilled shank
3) the small pin may be a "sweet heart pin, I'm not sure, but what we at forst thought said holy mary, I now know doesn't, it's latin same as on military badges, so any ideas ?
4) nice blow hole button
5) and a GEO II with readable date 1744

Big Time Fun.
And back at it tomorow.

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

First ever 1600's IDable coin

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Sweet heart pin ? IDK, ROMEO ? I know you have one, but I think bigger.

IMG_1364.JPG

3 q-tips of dirt off the pin, sitting on a quarter.

IMG_1374.JPG

Good Luck Out There.
Rick

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice haul Rick. Congrats on being able to ID a 1600's coin. I would love to know that feeling. Those buttons look really old and that pin is very cool. Hope you're getting as much time out as possible before the big freeze.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice early finds

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one has nice details, congrats on the oldie!
Don

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, I found my first young head Louis XIV Liard (1655-1658) this July.

Your lucky finding a King George II with a date, all of mine are dirt cakes!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The French phrase is, "Honi soit qui mal y pense", which means "shame on him who thinks evil of it". This is the motto of The Order of the Garter. Figuring out the coat of arms on the pin would give you some more info.

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense - Order of the Garter

THANKS David, very much, so I guess your saying the pin is french. I'll check out your link in a minute.
But again thanks very much for that info.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I found my first young head Louis XIV Liard (1655-1658) this July.

OK Coinman, since I wasn't familiar with this coin (never collected it or found it) your saying "young head" so that does mean that my coin is in the 1650's ?

Thanks so much for the reply.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS David, very much, so I guess your saying the pin is french. I'll check out your link in a minute.
But again thanks very much for that info.

No, French phrase, English proverb. The Order of the Garter is English. Strange, huh?

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one has nice details, congrats on the oldie!
Don

Thanks Don, yes I know when I popped it out I was thinking the details were strong, High relief (at least on the side I was looking, at the time)

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great early finds bud! Congrats on that 1600s coin....still looking for mine lol. Those blowhole buttons are cool. Of all the old buttons I've found I only have one blow hole. What a fun day that must have been. Is there more area for you to hit?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that day, and the coin and button are certainly closer in age to the nipple button.

Liard with Rouen mint, Krause lists the dates 1655-1658, and I think Coinman123 also had a B mint.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing wrong with that day, and the coin and button are certainly closer in age to the nipple button. Just too bad it's not a site with many targets.

Liard with Rouen mint, Krause lists the dates 1655-1658, and I think Coinman123 also had a B mint.

I the it was had the "I" Mintmark. Also, Your coin is definitely the young head design, minted from 1655-1658. The "older head" design from the 1690's did not have Louis XIV wearing a crown, whereas in the young head type he is wearing a crown. Funny thing is, like most worn colonial french coins, they are extremely thin.

Young head:
Liard-Louis-XIV-1656-D-trefle.jpg
Older head:
m785HPMobbBTe40T4wUIi1A.jpg

Congrats on a mid 1600's copper, they don't get much older than that on the Western Hemisphere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that day, and the coin and button are certainly closer in age to the nipple button.

Sadly your right, but I didn't want to come off the bat saying not a lot of finds, because #1 I am happy with what I did get, but at the same time this "site" was only occupied for a very short time, and the finds were fairly few. All that said I'm still happy we did spend today there, and also happy with what I did get. Most of the rest of this year has been much worse.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly your right, but I didn't want to come off the bat saying not a lot of finds, because #1 I am happy with what I did get, but at the same time this "site" was only occupied for a very short time, and the finds were fairly few. All that said I'm still happy we did spend today there, and also happy with what I did get. Most of the rest of this year has been much worse.

I revised before you posted, because looking again that wasn't to bad considering the age. Was the crown badge type thing found in the middle of all that? It doesn't seem to fit, at least to me.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great early finds bud! Congrats on that 1600s coin....still looking for mine lol. Those blowhole buttons are cool. Of all the old buttons I've found I only have one blow hole. What a fun day that must have been. Is there more area for you to hit?

THANKS AHAB, but sadly no, I think we have pretty much exhausted this site, we know there is another near by though.
Yes my good friend it was a "FUN DAY"

I'm looking forward to a reply from ROMEO because he has a sweet heart pin, and hoping he'll be able to shed some light on that.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I revised before you posted, because looking again that wasn't to bad considering the age. Was the crown badge type thing found in the middle of all that? It doesn't seem to fit, at least to me.

Again you are right, the "crown badge" came from the other half of the field, where I was looking for the rest of the shoe buckle, you might say half a mile away.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again you are right, the "crown badge" came from the other half of the field, where I was looking for the rest of the shoe buckle, you might say half a mile away.

Weird things can happen though. Several years back I found a little French patch, dug a few Marines buttons and and all the usual stuff a person would find at such a site.... and then I got the signal of all signals. I was pretty happy even getting a copper coin out of there being the age it was, but the sound was just so good I thought that has to be silver. So I took my time digging the hole, slowly moved the dirt out and there it was, I was right a silver coin... I then picked it up and brushed the dirt off a little and seen it was worn, but that had me thinking this thing could be really old. Finally I turned it the correct way and it was a damn Victoria quarter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread