Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a quick lunchtime hunt today with a buddy at the old park

Cold and miserable weather but it was worth it. Was digging lots of trash copper and brass. And got a nice repeatable high time at 83/84. On the eurotek pro. Dig a plug and see gold in the hole. Called my buddy over and unfourtanetly marked 10kt hge. The hge stands for heavy gold electroplate. The stone looked promising though with the heavy prongs and the fact that I can see the solder spot where the ring was resized. Got home and the diamond tester lit up like a Christmas tree!!!!! Not sure on the exact size. But it's a big one and looks close to a carat!!!

Now I have to decide to keep or sell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 327
Upvote 11

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in the business for over 20 years... never saw real diamonds in fake gold or sterling silver.... ever..... fyi...

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the business for over 20 years... never saw real diamonds in fake gold or sterling silver.... ever..... fyi...

Diamond tester is saying different.

I have 5 other rings with glass or cz. An the meter doesn't move at all when testing. I
also have a real known 1 1/2 carat diamond that tests positive the same way as this stone does

It's a strange ring that shows that it was resized and soldered. It also has a whole in the underside of the band that you can see the bottom of the stone through. I have never seen that on a fake stone either

Bob

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bob... I owned a pawn shop for 20 years... I hope for you this is real! A one time event. If a ring was truly soldered on, it cannot be a plated ring the plating will burn off. The pics look s if the stone is not a real diamond.... but I could be wrong... just my experience... I hope only the best for your find...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might also be Moissanite. Tests on the bottom end of the diamond scale.

........... and there's also the oldest diamond test. Scratch the stone across the surface of a pane of glass. If it scratches the pane you are okay, but if it scratches the stone.....well, you know.

Mike

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob... I owned a pawn shop for 20 years... I hope for you this is real! A one time event. If a ring was truly soldered on, it cannot be a plated ring the plating will burn off. The pics look s if the stone is not a real diamond.... but I could be wrong... just my experience... I hope only the best for your find...
Not questioning your expertise As I value your opinion greatly. Just going by what the machine tells me Here is a phone pic of the solder spot where it was resized

Attachments

• image-2781845326.jpg
    image-2781845326.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 255
  • image-2921244898.jpg
    image-2921244898.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 217

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The phone pic shows silver in color.... If it was really gold... The solder would be gold in color... Good luck to you.... :-)

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might also be Moissanite. Tests on the bottom end of the diamond scale. ........... and there's also the oldest diamond test. Scratch the stone across the surface of a pane of glass. If it scratches the pane you are okay, but if it scratches the stone.....well, you know. Mike

That was the first test before I got home to use my tester. It scratches the glass very easily and does not mark the stone

Attachments

• image-4190108372.jpg
    image-4190108372.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 204

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a silver ring that someone had sized, then plated gold after. Unusual

Mike

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The phone pic shows silver in color.... If it was really gold... The solder would be gold in color... Good luck to you.... :-)

Looking closer at the silver spot. The silver spot was there before it was plated. Because the 10kt hge is stamped over the silver spot. The silver spot tests positive for sterling but the rest of the ring doesn't

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just take it to a jeweler and you will see...

1emeraldlady

Jul 26, 2013
Micco, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I certainly don't want to start an argument but today lots of diamonds are actually set in sterling silver and rhodium plated silver settings since gold has gotten so expensive. You can buy diamond rings in silver at any major retail store and online too. I would not be surprised at all if it is a genuine diamond. :)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watched a youtube video today on moissanite...diamond tester cant tell the difference between them and a diamond...hope its real...let us know what the jeweler says.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My jeweler just looks at the stone with his loop, a couple of times it was after hours for them (old guys, downtown) and I went to the mall. They looked with a loop and used that tester you have. No doubt if you go to sell it, I'm sure your going to find out just what it is. It's interesting and exciting, always part of the fun of finding a ring.

Nice find, good luck on your ID.

Roustabout 14

Oct 13, 2014
Baton Rouge
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030, Whites v3, whites vx3, minelab se pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. Me personally if the tester say you hsve a diamond then congratulations on your diamond. Im happy for you

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. Me personally if the tester say you hsve a diamond then congratulations on your diamond. Im happy for you
You want to be sure the diamond tester can tell difference between a real diamond and moissanite, not all do.....

Moissanite is manufactured in the United States by Charles & Colvard, Ltd. It is a potentially beautiful synthetic gemstone that looks like a diamond to the naked eye. It also conducts heat at the same speed as a diamond, so a diamond tester conducting heat conductivity testing (which is how most diamond testers work) will not distinguish it from a diamond. A moissanite has a value of 10% to 15% of the value of a diamond of similar weight and clarity.

The most convenient way to test for moissanite is to use a moissanite tester. A moissanite tester puts an electrical current into the gemstone, and then measures how well the stone conducts the electricity as compared to a diamond. This method is fast, especially if you are testing multiple stones.

http://www.loupe-magnifier.com/moissanite_testers.htm

Last edited:

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. Good luck on that stone, fingers crossed.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Nice score!
It probably is a diamond set in silver which is gold plated. I found a ring last year which is stamped 925 is gold plated and has 6 tiny diamonds. Diamonds can be manufactured now days and they are a controlled commodity and are more plentiful than we think. So congrats on your gold/silver diamond ring!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread