Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meet up with a guy from another forum for the first time this afternoon. We didn't have a lot of time to hunt so I thought we would try our luck at an old park in town. I thought I would go off the beaten path and detect the woods and brush to maybe earn a few old coins. I made one pass through the area with not much to show. I had turned and was making my second pass when I get a screaming signal, I raked back the leaves with my foot expecting to see another old beer can, but I was so surprised to see this shiny pistol laying there. My first thought was no way this is real but it didn't take long after seeing the serial number on the side to know it was the real deal. I called the police to report it and waited around to show them and give them my story. The officer told me that they found a big bag full of personal belongings and electronics in that same area last year. They think both that bag and now this gun may have been involved in a burglary at that time. I was told thanks and I was happy I could help out. It's a scary thought a loaded gun could be laying around for a kid or anyone to find. It had been there long enough to rust the action and the clip. The officer said it can't be brought in until it is unloaded and cleared. I didn't stick around to find out any more.

Pistol.jpg Police.jpg

Upvote 18

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a guy here in Maine that I know who detects. He recovered the gun that was used in a triple murder. The people were shot inside a car then the car was torched with them inside. He testified at the trial and that gun was a key piece of evidence that got these 2 life in prison. He also recovered one of the defendants cel phone close to the handgun

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may get the gun back if you want. If it was not reported stolen or for sure used in a crime the after a certain period of time you can get it back

Great find!!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm fine with not keeping it and just having the story and the pics. And I sure thought this would get more attention that what it has got. I never thought I would ever find anything like this and I don't think it happens very often. It's a find I will never forget that's for sure!

I think it should have, and maybe will get more attention, it is a remarkable recovery. Earlier today it just got burried quickly by a bunch of those (usless) 2 word replies.

It certainly doesn't happen very often, and that is why I gave the banner vote on this one. Finding the gun is BANNER, and turning it in is honorable mention as well.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it should have, and maybe will get more attention, it is a remarkable recovery. Earlier today it just got burried quickly by a bunch of those (usless) 2 word replies. It certainly doesn't happen very often, and that is why I gave the banner vote on this one. Finding the gun is BANNER, and turning it in is honorable mention as well.

Well I appreciate that. I saw some of the other post saying that they got buried, so it seems to be getting some interest now. I know I never thought I would find one like this in a million years.
Thanks again, Dave

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's neat, good job calling in the police, maybe u helped slove a crime

Nice!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a guy here in Maine that I know who detects. He recovered the gun that was used in a triple murder. The people were shot inside a car then the car was torched with them inside. He testified at the trial and that gun was a key piece of evidence that got these 2 life in prison. He also recovered one of the defendants cel phone close to the handgun

Now that is on a whole other level! It's so crazy the violent crimes that goes on in this world. I'm glad he was able to help bring those criminals to justice!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it would be nice if the paper would run a story about the find and explain how someone metal detecting in the park helped clear a potential hazard. maybe that would help change some folks' attitude towards someone they otherwise felt had just been digging holes and being destructive.

Yeah that would be nice. We all know this hobby could use all the positive attention it can get!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may get the gun back if you want. If it was not reported stolen or for sure used in a crime the after a certain period of time you can get it back Great find!!

Thanks! I really don't want it even if that was offered. I'm a gun guy myself, but have no desire to have that one in my house. It was most certain used by a criminal or even yet in a crime. I'm content with photos and a cool story to go with them.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you doing hanging out with a guy from another forum?:dontknow:

I'm an equal opportunity detectorist. If you love to go detecting you fit in just fine with me! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job!! You should have permission to hunt anywhere in town. Tony

Man that would be awesome! I've got a lot of places already picked out :laughing7:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job, SD. I have to agree with jeweler guy that it would be great if the paper ran a story about it.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job, SD. I have to agree with jeweler guy that it would be great if the paper ran a story about it.

Thanks Old Dude. The police didn't make a big deal about it so I don't know if it would ever get in the paper.

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably woulda kept it personally. Depends if there was a full mag, or if some had been fired...

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job, eliminating a potential hazard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread